• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yes you can print that document, if Microsoft lets you !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
Microsoft outlined plans to develop technology which controls what users can do with sensitive business documents.

Windows Rights Management Services (otherwise known as RMS is a new technology for Windows Server 2003 that will restrict the ability of recipients to print or forward confidential files, including financial reports, legal and planning documents. Just the thing to prevent embarrassing leaks then, at least in theory.

Read A Report Here

Just think what this could mean to the general public, if it was possible to restrict access regarding what could be done with a file.. leaked internal security problems could be stopped, or you may not be able to print your private Emails if restricted to.

Is this Microsoft attempting tell us how to use our computer systems ?, or are they protecting digital rights... your view please !!

UnseenMenace said:
Just think what this could mean to the general public, if it was possible to restrict access regarding what could be done with a file.. leaked internal security problems could be stopped, or you may not be able to print your private Emails if restricted to.

Is this Microsoft attempting tell us how to use our computer systems ?, or are they protecting digital rights... your view please !!

both,

M$ has always attemted to nudge us towards using computers the way they want us to,

UnseenMenace said:

Just take a screen shot! lol! Or you could just get a camera and take a pic of the screen! lol! who needs a document you cant print!

From what I understand the document has to be coded to be unprintable, so as long as the person writing it does not make is a 'read only' document, then it will not effect us at all, it will only effect major corperations who will most likely have all internal documents defaulted to read only, and prevent trasmission out side of the Company, personally I like the idea,

it is better then encryiption, but basically the same thing.

if you dont like what ms is doing to documents change to linux :)

it sounds like a resonably good idea but since i have two computers and two webcams, it isnt much use really [webcams are pretty crappy though :(]

It sounds like it could be a blessing and a curse, really. If you can turn it on and off when you choose, then it'd be alright. But if Microsoft chooses when you can and can't print documents, then I'm sure that there's a nice Linux distro out there for me.

The only way this carries water is because somebody out there wants it.

It's a shame that our world has come to this point. People find it so difficult to be original, that they have to result to stealing info in order to remain viable.

Companies have a right to try to keep their info secure. M$ or not.

Back