• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

..So weird ...reboot problem on XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KGH

i was running xp and in the process of put together a second pc..I ran out of ide cable so I powered down the winxp and got the secondary cable from it.
Next thing I know I started up windows xp it gave me the message .. invalid atapi ... and stuck there for a while and search for boot record ..I went into the BIOS and saw everything is fine ..it does auto detect my hdd right ( maxtor ) . so I saved it and exit ..still same problem.
and luckily the second pc is up and running ..so I took this hdd into this new ..windows 2k and put in secondary master and I can read my whole 60GB fine w/o any problem.
I went into DOS and run few "chkdsk d: /f " and did not report any problem ..however when i ran with "chkdsk d: " it reports 32 of bad sector .. I ran "chkdsk d: /v" it took way tooo long so I killed it.
Why I doing it "chkdsk" thing ? well because I did try to run this winxp hdd as primary master on this second pc and that is what it suggested me ...CHKDSK /f and make sure the partition is not corrupt or damage .. but that chkdsk did not fix it ..even I DISMOUNT it before ran chkdsk

I did some search and found different version of chkdsk ..is this true ?

I really like to have this winxp hdd fixed cuz so many stuff on there. Is there a sure way can fix this ..probably bad sector or corruption ?

thnx

maybe I would find a bootup floppy that is working and try to chkdsk from there ? but then again what that does any good since I already DISMOUNT and chkdsk when it was a secondary master hdd.

Atapi is a CD-ROM standard, and some CD's are bootable. Make sure you don't have a cd in the cd-rom drive.

Also make sure that your computer is set to boot from the hard drive, and not from the cd-rom.

Make sure the cable isn't loose, and your jumpers are set correctly. Also, try hooking your secondary IDE bus back up and seeing if it will boot. Windows XP doesn't like to boot at all on my computer if I have a cd in the drive, it could be a weird bug where it won't boot without a connected cd-rom drive.

umm maybe I didnt make myself clear bro..
i took out the secondary ide cable of cd rom so the wasnt any cd/dvd in there just hdd ( primary master ) I went into bios check very carefully, pin a firmly attached
it is boot from hd-0 for first one

guess what I left my hdd out for a night and hook back in this morning and it boot up fine ..then power down and attach my cdrom and dvd rom in ( on the secondary ide channel ) and I cannot bootup .. remove those two cd/dvd ..still cannot boot up

I always leave CDs in the drive on XP, Game CDS, Music CDs, harddrive backups.. I've never once had a problem with a bootup with a CD in the drive.

Floppys are another story all together ;)

Beast Of Blight said:
I always leave CDs in the drive on XP, Game CDS, Music CDs, harddrive backups.. I've never once had a problem with a bootup with a CD in the drive.

Floppys are another story all together ;)

prolly cause you have your boot sequence set with the cd-rom after the hard drive...

i just leave my boot sequence as hard drive, floppy, cd-rom... i figure that i'll change it if need be...

Beast Of Blight said:
No, the boot order is floppy, CD, then harddrive.

i mean if a cd is bootable... if it's bootable and in the drive it could cause issues when booting :)

Back