• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best fluid for cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zaz

Registered
Just wondering what the best fluid would be for cooling?

I have heard some suggestions around the board such as distilled water and something like water wetter all the way to windshield washer fluid.

Anyone want to offer their thoughs on the matter?

About the only things better than water for cooling are:

heavy water - about 10% more heat capacity
50% caustic soda mix with water - about 20% more heat capacity

since either are not commonly available, or not very good for your system, water is about the best you can do. In any event, either would only help out by fractions of a degree celcius.

Surprising isn't it - that the simplest things can often be the best.

Is a corrosion inhibitor needed if using distilled water and using only copper components?

Zaz said:
Is a corrosion inhibitor needed if using distilled water and using only copper components?

It is advised.

It really depends.

As an on-going corrosion experiment I run my all-copper White Water water-block with brass barbs with a copper heater-core and Eheim pump without any form of corrosion protection full-time. I just use regular tap water and top up the open-to-air bucket reservoir every few weeks using a dirty old coke bottle. This is intended to mimic a worst case scenario.

In 4 months now I have not seen a single sign of corrosion of any kind anywhere in the system.

I do not advise doing this though if you have any aluminium in your system though, even anodized aluminium. Even if you're just using all-copper, the brass barbs can eventually start to corrode, and so some form of corrosion inhibitor is advised.

well it doesnt smell once it is so diluted in the water and if you have a closed loop. You don't use very much at all - 1oz per quart of water. The only time you would smell it is when you were pouring it in.

There are alternatives anyways, like the Dex-cool neomoses suggested. I'm not sure what the best choice other than water wetter would be.

It is advised.

It really depends.

As an on-going corrosion experiment I run my all-copper White Water water-block with brass barbs with a copper heater-core and Eheim pump without any form of corrosion protection full-time. I just use regular tap water and top up the open-to-air bucket reservoir every few weeks using a dirty old coke bottle. This is intended to mimic a worst case scenario.

In 4 months now I have not seen a single sign of corrosion of any kind anywhere in the system.

I do not advise doing this though if you have any aluminium in your system though, even anodized aluminium. Even if you're just using all-copper, the brass barbs can eventually start to corrode, and so some form of corrosion inhibitor is advised.

I am kind of curious what that setup is doing to your weld/solder joints in the rad....((meaning no additives)) for protection... PS what are your temps like!!!

Back