• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it just me or is this trend not a trend at all

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What i find funny is a lot of AMD guys who use nVidia say they chose AMD cuz they are the "underdog", and support them and stuff...but refuse to buy an ATi card....

never noticed that myself - i got a bit of both i guess.

i just got a used system that had AMD and nvidia.

im more of a whatever is going to get me the most performance for the cheapest price. ati is definately that card now, and amd is the platform. i have been thinking baout going all out and buying a intel 3.04, not sure what motherboard yet, and a 9800 when those are released. but we will have to see about that.

ATI and Intel are PIMP :cool:, this is the PIMP club
why should i support the underdogs i.e. the losers when i can get better products?

Excelsior said:
They will have to re-think that choice now :p

hehe, thats what i was thinking...

You have to realize that this is just a trend i've noticed...doesnt mean it's always true.

Just look in peoples sigs and i think you'll start seeing it...maybe it's in my head, i dunno :p

sorry johhny but ati until very recently was the underdog, very not pimp to most people. and i happen to like ati and amd, if i had to wager a guess its that they both give you better value for your dollar in the low to mid end that we all love to oc to the high end

The video card industry is changing faster than the CPU industry. I mean, we've had "true" 3d accelerators for how long now? 5 years?

I used to purchase only intel. Then went AMD with the advent of the Thunderbird. Now I'm back to intel. I wasn't rooting for AMD when I purchased their processor. It genuinely was a better product.

With regards to the Video Card market. I've had products from primarily 3dfx and NVIDIA. ATI was having driver issues back when I was considering an upgrade from the GeForce2 GTS. Now, I'm in a position that I sincerely don't feel a need to upgrade the video card. The Radeon 9700 Pro seems like a nice video card, but for the games that I play it would just be a waste of money.

Eventually, the Ti4600 won't be able to hold its own, and I'll need to upgrade the vid card. When that time comes, the best video card will be the one I purchase. (I'll probably wait a couple months after Doom3 is released to make the decision.)

well i go against that, but i have noticed that on the whole there is that sort of a trend, i dont know why.
i try not to be fanboyish, have used both amd and intel, and both ati and nvidia.
im looking at the 9800 pro as my next card :)

I think alot of people will be getting ATI's from now on, Intel or not. But ATI are a cut cheaper than nVidia, and AMD are also cheaper then Intel, so the triend could mearly be a price issiue

Supertrucker said:
sorry johhny but ati until very recently was the underdog

i'm talking about now, the present, ATI are now the best, if i were to talk about the past i would have said that 3dfx are PIMP :cool:

i don't agree with this trend you might have noticed. I personally will go for the best performance to prize which ever it is (amd or intel, ati or nvidia)

yeah I tend to see more of a an AMD/Nvidia match Intel/ATI match...but then at the same time, does it really matter...you wanna just look at whats good now and pair em.

I have an Intel/Nvidia setup and want an Intel/ATI setup - but thats because of obvious reasons, not because I have Intel so therefore I must get a particular brand of graphics card. For a Johnnyism, its all about the Pimp Now

penguinpoo said:
I think alot of people will be getting ATI's from now on, Intel or not. But ATI are a cut cheaper than nVidia, and AMD are also cheaper then Intel, so the triend could mearly be a price issiue

Exactly. In the 10 years I sold PC's one point has been plainly obvious. Virtually everyone buys whatever is cheapest, and then comes up any story imaginable about why they chose what they chose rather than admit they did it because it was cheap. People are consistantly and primarily motivated by financial concerns, but it is not glorious enough to them to admit it. There are exceptions to every rule, but the rule is people are cheap and the cheapest product will also be the most popular.

This is not to say that there are not times when the cheapest products also have merit that extends beyond affordability. It's very satisfying to isolate a product that it is at the same time the cheapest and also the best available. It's just somewhat rare, and doesn't happen often enough to explain the purchasing trends you see, and the crazy stories that accompany them.

Back