• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tracking viewed internet sites with XP !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snapmando

Hi all,

Let me first say " I'm a parent". I am wanting to know how to monitor my teenagers online viewing. I used to be able too through History but, they know how to cover their tracks now by deleting history. Is there anyway I could view their online activities through XP after History has been erased?

Thanks

Snapmando

go to C:\Documents and settings\[user]\local settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5 (the directory won't be there, so you'll have to type it in manually). There, open the file Index.dat, that's a sort of database Microsoft put to monitor whatever you do online ;), you can check it with Notepad, though it would be pretty big for it (usually over a couple of MB if you didn't reinstall Windows in a long time). Scroll down from the sharabia (sp ?) (crap text ;)) and you'll see addresses of websites. That's how you can check them :D.

boy... im glad my mom is totaly computer illiterate... though i dont think she would care about what else i look at at 12 at night;)... she might htough

Can you freely edit the index.dat, or will that mess things up? Is there a program to clean it?

OSUmaxx said:
Can you freely edit the index.dat, or will that mess things up? Is there a program to clean it?

why dont you try ? but make a backup of the original of course;) "just incase"

If you've got a newer model router, there ought to be a feature in the router itself to filter out specific websites . . . My Netgear has one (brand new . . . pumpkin rotted all over the other one and killed it:rolleyes: )

Z

OSUmaxx said:

It seems to clear every day. It only shows sites that I accessed today.

Back