• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit NF7 CPU related problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CDJay

Registered
OK, 2nd time unlucky for me.

Previously I had got a 8RDA+ board to use w/ my new 2400+, however the PCI slots didn't work, refusing to detect ANY PCI devices at all.

Since a friend of mine had had similar, although not as extreme. problems w/ PCI devices using the same board from the same supplier.

So, I decide to try the NF7-S, a good board by all accounts.

Installed and booted fine... "yay" I'm thinking.

The detected CPU speed was 700Mhz, I'm guessing that 's normal until it's set in Softmenu....

So I go into Softmenu and set to 2400+, just to test, and strangely it stays at 700Mhz despite when checking in the BIOS the softmenu is set to 2400+

So I mess around w/ some settings, trying to do it manually, and it refuses to boot ( this is at lower than stock speeds I should add )

Eventually I've got it stable enough to boot into Windows, however this is at 1.46Ghz. Not great for a 2400+ processor really.

I just posted this in the Cooling forum

"My SLK900 was supplied w/out printed instructions, luckily I'd printed some from the thermalrite site.

It was all going reasonably well until this stage

"Be sure to place four circular pads included onto base of the heat sink"

Eh? What circular pads? Pathetic description IMO, what are they talking about?

I'm hoping they don't mean the smaller thicker plastic spacer things because I've already lost most of them trying to use them in this manner.

Regardless I've fitted the SLK900, and I've run across problems.

Firstly my PC won't run at normal speeds ( 2400+ ), instead I have to run at 1.46Ghz or the PC shuts down w/ a siren noise.

I'm not entirely convinced it's heat related, since at 1.46Ghz running Prime 95, the temp is about 46 degrees C.

I'm thinking however that 46 degrees C using a SLK900 w/ 92mm fan at just over 66% of stock speed isn't a great result?"

Not sure whether to blame the mobo or the cooler at this point, any ideas anyone?

The NF7-S is a 1.2 revision board, the 2400+ processor booted ok in the 8RDA at stock speeds despite the board itself being forked, and with a far less decent cooler.

Also, should I be using both ATX Power connectors? I'm using an Enermax 550w I think, have never used the smaller 4 pin connector before.... ATM both are plugged in.

Cheers guys

CDJay

im not sure but maby try removing the slk and checking for damage to the core like any chips off the corners because if it is damaged that could explain your problem

Right, I'm now at 166 x 12 ( approx 2000Mhz ) OK.

However I think I have to have core higher than standard ( 1.65v right? ) to keep it stable, which is odd.

I've got temps down slightly, 42 degrees under load, is that good/average/bad ?

The main question I still have is should I be using both ATX Power connectors?

ATM I've set to enhance PCI Performance ( yes ), set CPU/FSB by SPD, Memory settings set to optimal, and CPU core is at 1.7v

Any other suggestions I can do quickly 2morrow would be appreciated, I'll have a chance to properly set it up at the weekend hopefully

Cheers

CDJay

Run your fsb/dram at sync being 3/3, 4/4, or 5/5 by running it at spd you are actually telling the board to read the ID on the Ram and run it at its rated speed, running it at sync will set it the same as the FSB and not higher alsoi the Abit undervolts by about .1v so you have to run 1.75v to get 1.65 which is default so that may be an issue also the board will boot to safe mode post if the setting aren't correct or the temps are to high so thats why you are getting 700mhz...

Thank m8, will try setting to 3/3 and upping voltage a tad

Cheers!

CDJay

Back