• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Twinmos PC3700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raddo

Registered
Hi there,

anyone who has two stick of 256MB Twinmos PC3700 running on EP-8rga+?? I cant get over 150Mhz!! Is the MOBO or could it be the memory??

regards
R

What CPU are you using? Is it unlocked and running with a lower multiplier?

If CPU is unlocked and running with a low multiplier, run memtest86 on bare hardware to test the memory.

BTW, where did you get the TwinMOS 3700?

I bought it from www.komplett.co.uk -good prices in the UK!

I have Palomino AGKGA 1600 XP+ and it's still unlocked. I had PC2100 and the were able to go up to 150Mhz. So I thought I could get out of the CPU more with better memory without unlocking as my MOBO has VDD as well. So do you thing it could be the CPU? And my MOBO still shows on the dispaly FF post code and I've no idea wheter something wrong with the MOBO or the memory.

Your Palomino is only running @145Mhz!!

Rado

raddo said:
I bought it from www.komplett.co.uk -good prices in the UK!

I have Palomino AGKGA 1600 XP+ and it's still unlocked. I had PC2100 and the were able to go up to 150Mhz. So I thought I could get out of the CPU more with better memory without unlocking as my MOBO has VDD as well. So do you thing it could be the CPU? And my MOBO still shows on the dispaly FF post code and I've no idea wheter something wrong with the MOBO or the memory.

Your Palomino is only running @145Mhz!!

Rado

1. Since your Palomino is locked (at mulitplier 10.5), the FSB can go only as high as the CPU_max / 10.5, which I think is around at 150 MHz. It agrees with what you said. My 1600+ Palomino max around that too.

2. PC2100 is rated at 133 MHz. 10% overclocking is normal, so put it to around 146 MHz (some where between 145 - 150 MHz).

3. The system bandwidth is mainly dictated by the FSB. If your FSB cannot go higher due to locked CPU, no matter how good the memory is (even a $400 PC5000), the max memory bandwidth is 2 * 8 * FSB MB/s. E.g. if the max FSB = 150 MHz, the max BW = 2400 MB/s. Running high bandwidth memory at low FSB is wasting the expensive memory bandwidth.

4. The 8RDA+ FSB should be able to hit 180-210 MHz out of the box, if you can get an unlocked TBred B such as 1700+, 2100+ or better. At that point, the TwinMOS PC3700 memory can be used to its full potential.

Last edited:
I plan on getting some of that aswell from komplett .I think i will go with the 512 stick and get the abit nf7 1.2.Should be able to see how high it will go.

to hitechjb1

Hi,

you were right, I managed to get 8.5 multiplier on my CPU (conductive paint) and I got up to 185Mhz, which is around 1.6Ghz again.So obviously I need to get a new Thbd XP 1700+ which is very good for overclocking.
thanks
Regards

Rado

Re: to hitechjb1

raddo said:
Hi,

you were right, I managed to get 8.5 multiplier on my CPU (conductive paint) and I got up to 185Mhz, which is around 1.6Ghz again.So obviously I need to get a new Thbd XP 1700+ which is very good for overclocking.
thanks
Regards

Rado

I still don't have the courage to unlock my palomino 1600 which probably requires taping, filling and silver-connect, lol.

Also my KR7A-RAID on which it is running does not have the PCI/AGP locked or the 1/5 multiplier, so even it is unlocked, the FSB can't go much higher. I guess 150-160 MHz at most (10% higher from what it is now).

Also now the TBred 1700+ and 2100+ are at good price, ..., they can do 2.2 - 2.4 GHz.

Last edited:
thinking of the price and how high 1700 or 2100 can go, much better is to get 1700 as its cheaper and the percentage of o/c of 1700 is much higher then 2100.

Back