• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dimensions of AM4 and AM5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Al_bundy

Registered
Hi,
i need urgently the informations if the dimensions of AM4 and AM5 r the same.
I talk about the packagedimensions of Socket/LGA + CPU like the following picture.
I hope someone has skills to tell me if its the same or someone could provide the right information.

Thank u and best regards Marc

Source:

AM5.png

I guess someone will give you more detailed info, but afaik AM4 and AM5 are supposed to be about the same. I understand you need it confirmed with detailed measurements.
The main difference is CPU mounting kit, and backplate. You can buy Thermal Grizzly or EK kits for AM4->AM5 or AM5->AM4. Both provide only a different backplate or screws, so I assume that the cooler is the same for both series. AM4 backplate is separated. AM5 backplate is connected to the CPU socket. This main difference causes problems with a 3rd party cooler installation.
If I find detailed dimensions, then I will let you know.

My understanding is the z height (listed as 7.87+/-0.60 in the diagram you posted) is different between AM4 and AM5. The locations of the mounting holes are exactly the same, but some coolers have the ability to adapt to different z heights better than ohers depending on the mounting mechanism.

My understanding is the z height (listed as 7.87+/-0.60 in the diagram you posted) is different between AM4 and AM5. The locations of the mounting holes are exactly the same, but some coolers have the ability to adapt to different z heights better than ohers depending on the mounting mechanism.

Holes are in the same places, but the backplate forces you to use it on AM5 (it's holding the CPU socket), while on AM4 it's not required (if you have a pass-through mounting kit). This is why Thermal Grizzly sells a short AM5 backplate, which is much easier to use with liquid cooling or other non-standard cooling solutions. That +/-0.60 is probably because AM5 is slightly "working" depending on the pressure on socket pins.
Btw. Noctua sells one mounting kit for their newer AM4 and AM5 coolers. Since plastic spacers are the same height, then it suggests that the IHS of AM4 and AM5 CPUs, is at the same height.

Last edited:
Thank u guys for help. But whats true? Its the same, or not? Some say yes, some say now. Iam confused. And i cant find sheets at amd.com :-(

Back