• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP's...Green or brown??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Jeff7477 said:
the color

yes thats it I think some say that the grennys overclock better but I havn't heard of a green v brown shootout.

I don't really think there's a difference in o/c performance.
I know that the green pally chips are harder to unlock since the bridge contacts have some sort of coating on them and have to be scraped off to make a good connection.

jonspd said:

yes thats it I think some say that the grennys overclock better but I havn't heard of a green v brown shootout.

Nope, it's just the organic packaging. The stepping determines the overclock(and each chip has slightly different capabilities).

tbreds are all .13 [unless i missed something...]

and i think maxima was right about the unlocking the green ones, cause mine had a wierd looking bump or something. I didnt feel like f'in up my cpu, so I didnt unlock it, and i'm still at 2.1Gs.

I have both a green and a brown xp 1700 tbred b juihb 0302 and both clock to 2150 stable the greenie does it at 1.8v and the brownie at 1.85v greenie won't go higher at 1.85v stable but i can get into windows up to 2250. I believe there is no ocing difference but the green chips look so cool.

snvpa said:
but the green chips look so cool.

Well they may look cool in the packaging but they don't run too cool until you put a waterblock or heatsink or something on them, and then of course you can't see it anymore ;)

I agree the greens are a bit of a pain to unlock because of the coating.

so true deathnight. well i guess i'll just have to develop a good submersible cooling system then you'll be able to see it. also after 3 hours of playing madden 2001 I do believe the green 1700 is stable at 2.205 ghz @1.85v. only time will tell I guess but madden is a great stress tester in my experience.

I agree thats why i use it. also suprisingly sim city 4 exposes instability better than most burn in programs. I think the best test of stability is to do what you normally do with your comp.

I have both I thought the browns were 266 C codes and the Greens were D code 333 fsb chips?

Other than color there is no difference, except that shiny coating others have mentioned. I'm not sure what determines the color. I have two 2100+ AIUHB T-Breds here. One is green, one is brown. Can't remember the week number offhand though.

Well I have a green one and like someone said...whos cares about the color....you wont see it when you put on the heatsink....and about the shiny coating..dunno..dont care....I have a KT400, so why mess with unlocking when everything can be unlocked already!

Back