• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a QUIET ATX PSU, any suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Richie

Registered
I am currently using an Antec 350W smartpower PSU but it is so loud compared to the higher spec PC's we have at work.

My home pc is an Athlon XP1800+ (running @1.73ghz) and at work we use P4 1.7 ghz machines which are so much quieter, you can hardly hear them on and that's with a room full of pc's!

My home PC is too loud (you can hardly hear the TV) and have traced the noise to the PSU fan. The case and CPU fan are fine.

So i'm looking for a quiet 350W or higher PSU, any reccomendations?

Or alternatively I could change the 80mm fan but it also has a speed sensor on it which plugs into my ASUS A7V333 motherboard.

Cheers :)

You can try to replace the PSU fan with a 80mm panaflo "L", to eliminate noise completely run that fan at 5V, but you may risk your PSU's life span.

I've got an Enermax 365W PS with the RPM adjustable (user set, not temperature dependent) and it's really nice. It's got a 92mm double ball bearing fan on the bottom of it thats really quiet and does a good job of exhausting processor heat.

I have a Seasonic 400ATX PFC. It isn't that loud. If you want to replace the fan on it you can. I believe it is not soldered in, but plugged in, which makes it easy to replace. It's at Newegg. The pic of it shows a white one, but I got grey instead. It looks much better than white.

enermax not quiet even with low settings, neither are sparkle unless you replace the fan.

If you want quiet go for the Zalman, QuietPC, Nexus or seasonic

i got the enermax 431 w with the user adustable fan speed.....@ its mid range speed the noise is still less then my heatsink or my vid card fan.....those PSU's u got @ work are probably about 250-275 watts maybe 300..open it up and look

SLO said:
I just got the Sparke 350W PSU with 120mm fan. Man is this thing quiet! It makes a nice low hum rather than the loud vaccum noise. Plus it's CHEAP! With my new Chieftec and Enermax Fans my case is barely audible over my old setup.

350W Sparke Power from XP Direct

Hey Slo is that a variable speed or just constant speed, or can you tell? Anyway, that to me is the future, 120mm fans, especially nice is the fan is on the inside not at the outside. That's a good price too.

fmah said:

Hey Slo is that a variable speed or just constant speed, or can you tell? Anyway, that to me is the future, 120mm fans, especially nice is the fan is on the inside not at the outside. That's a good price too.

From what I can tell it's not variable. I agree with the 120mm fan thing. While my Enermax Thermo Queit fans are damn quiet they dont have the flow and lower hum of the 92mm and 120mm or bigger. The 120mm fan definitely has a much less obnoxious tone over the 80mm while retaining the airflow.

Back