• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to shut my hd up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevmarks

besides sending it to sleep. Or lashing out $30 on the no-vibes III. I have installed some rubber gromet things but it only helped a little bit.

I really want to isolate the hd from the case completly. To stop any vibration. I have a WD1200BB and a seagate cuda IV (40gb). The seagate hardly makes a sound, but the WD is insane.

Does the WD have any accoustic management? Ha anybody enabled it? Did it make a difference?

WD states that their drives do have a "Automatic Acoustic Management feature'. However I guess this is more a marketing thing than anything real. Couldn't find anything on their support web about this feature. From 'automatic' you would asume that you don't need to (can't) enable or manage it in any way.

Now, as for the vibration, I have a number of WD (80, 120, 180) drives, and they are all quiet (enough), no disturbing vibrations ...
If your drive is new or under warranty, I'd go for a replacement.

A.

rma it , coudl be just ur drive, i did the same with my maxtor but the rma was loud too so it urn my ans up to drown out the hd sound hehe

No, the drive is fine. I know what a ill hd sounds like. It's not that at all. I have an Cheiftech full tower case. When I place my palm on the top of the case I can feel it vibrating. when I do a hdparm -y /dev/hda command (send the drive to sleep) the vibrating stops.

I am thinking of ordering the no vibes III. A little pricy though.

once again. WTF? I never hear any noise on any of my harddrives. Both of my WDSE's are totally inaudiable over my modest fan noise, and my brothers two 60GXP's are inaudiable over his near-silent box. Nor do I hear any HDD noise from my 120GXP on my file server, or the earlier WD caviars on my 1000mhz box.

just make your own "no vibes" dealy, ecept you could call it good vibes, ne ways it cant be that hard and its worth it to save the money

I have been putting some thought to that. I need to find some thick rubber string. Kind of like the belt from a vacum cleaner but longer. I have put together a little plan to make one. I need to find some 'O' rings that will screw in to the side of the hard disks. Then I can just attach the rubber to that. Very secure, but still hunting for the meterials.

Now when you say noise from the hard drive, do you mean the winding noise of its RPM, or the seeking/writing grinding noise?

If it's the rotation noise (whining), there's not much to do other than insolate the case.

If it's the grinding noise, use rubber o-rings. You can go to a local hardware store and find them, or you can make your own my piercing the screw thrrough a thin piece of rubber or very soft plastic.

Or!- you can look around for Maxtor liquid bearing drives. I can't hear them even when I'm defragmenting. They run a little warm, but they are really quiet- and I HAVE 3 OF THEM! Only thing I can hear if anything at all is a very slight high pitched wisper comimg out of these (7200RPM) drives. VERY QUIET!

Ok thats enough of my maxtor advertisement :D.

The barrauda 7200.7 are supposed to be the best right now. Yeah, the access is hardly audable. It the drive causing the case to vibrate and creating a deep humm sounds thats anoying the hell out of me :(

It's much better since I swapped out the old SK6's for AX-7's. I just want to isolate the hard drives and fans and I should have a silent pc.

I have been looking around for o rings to thread the rubber through but can't find anything. I may go with this kind of setup.

no-vibe-3.jpg

Just need to source some thick rubber string.

Back