• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to set up windows on SSD and use old HDD as "data" drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stevelarke

Hey all

first post on these forums so apologies if something similar has come up. I had a quick scour but couldn't find anything exactly the same.

I'm after your advice. I have a PC that i had a 1TB HDD on as my main and only storage. I've now got a 128GB SSD drive that I want to install windows on, and run "everyday" software (itunes (not media folder), antivirus etc) from. I then want to use my old HDD as a "data" drive and possibly for more labour intensive programs (games, pro tools etc)

What's the best way of going about this? So far i'm not sure what i've done is best. I've installed windows on the SSD and all seems great. I then backed up everything on my HDD and quick formatted it through disk management. Late last night i tried installed Pro Tools to the old HDD but when it started on the progress bar everything was still installing to the C: (SSD).

Sometimes when trying to share folders or add things to the HDD i get permission errors (can't remember exact ones as I'm at work now).

Am i able to install programs to this HDD and run from there? Or do they need to be on the same drive as windows?

I'm a noob when it comes to PCs having been using Macs for the last 10 years so any help is amazing!

Thanks for your reply - i did change the install path to the f:\ drive but it still installed things to the C:\ - perhaps this is just something it has to have on the same drive as windows perhaps? there was stuff installing onto the F:\ too i remember but i had to stop installation as it would have taken all night and it's been a long week....

Do you know if i can simply install games to the this second drive and run them ok?

i think as I use pro tools a lot i'm going to try and run it from the SSD and have all audio files etc on the HDD. All games etc will be on the HDD as i play them infrequently.

I have no idea what ProTools is, but I doubt it requires one to install in the same drive as Windows...

Yes, you can install games to the second drive and play them, sure. Just note if you reinstall your OS, you will have to 'reattach' the game on the HDD to the OS (run the install again and it should be fast as heck as it should only verify the installation and drop new shortcuts and add registry entries).

Pro Tools is a piece of software made by Avid for Audio Production. I'll have to look into it as I definitely set it to install on another drive but elements were still put onto the C drive.

I'll have a play tonight with reattaching games!

SSD for system and most often used files seems optimal. However it can change if you have more drives and lot of RAM.
System files are generally being loaded to the RAM so SSD won't help much in anything else than faster system loading. Considering how ( still ) expensive are SSD then sometimes better idea would be to put system on HDD/SSHD , games and all other data / browser cache etc to the SSD and all other less important data to cheaper/slower HDD.
That's just an idea as 128GB SSD = 4-5 new games and Windows with additional files uses ~20GB.

Back