• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLUTION TO COLD BOOT PROBLEM: KT7 mod works on KK266 too!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Taiyoryu

Registered
I had the time tonight to dismantle and mess with my system. I just confirmed solution B listed below. I include the symptoms and cause again for any newbies or misinformed people.

I managed to finish up to step 5 of Kevin's mod. I probed the board. Then I test booted manually holding the wire. It boots everytime when I put the wire on the MOSFET. When I remove it, it won't POST. All I have left is to solder the baby.

The MOSFET you want is the one between the AGP slot and the memory slots. It's marked Q30 on the board. When I probed it after I turned the system on, the voltage I read was under 2V. No wonder it couldn't POST.

Some tips:

0) Use a barebones system. Motherboard, video card, monitor, keyboard, CPU fan, 1 stick of RAM, and floppy. This will minimize the damage should something go wrong. If you can, it helps to have the motherboard outside the case, but of course you're limited by cable length.

1) While probing with your multimeter, you can free a hand by jamming the negative probe into the ground outlet of a MOLEX connector.

2) When you're ready to test, use a large guage wire. Trim back the sheath. Double-over the end, and jam it into the P4 AUX connector's 3.3V line (orange). The friction will be enough to hold it in. If you don't have a P4 AUX connector, use the motherboard power connector instead, but it's harder to wedge IMO.

Looks like tomorrow I'll be going by Fry's to pick me up some parts to finish up this project.

Symptoms:
After shutdown you turn on the power, but the system displays a blank screen, lights and fans are on, but the system fails to POST (Power-On Self Test).

Usually you can't power back on for at least 5-10 mins, sometimes up to an hour and in some rare cases even after a day. And even during those attempts you may need to press the reset button in order to get it to POST.

Swapping out to a PCI card or a different AGP card (not GeForce) usually gets rid of the problem.

All other hardware checks out and is properly seated/installed including memory, PCI cards, IDE connections, PSU.

Cause:

This discusses the GeForce2 incompatibilty issue. It stems from a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) circuit on the motherboard being incompatible with the GeForce's power unit. The incompatibility applies to GF3s as well.

This problem is not isolated to just one brand/model of mobo or GF card. There are posts that say ABIT aknowledges the issue. (eg. http://www.btinternet.com/~p3v4x/texts.htm) You can RMA your board and they will replace some capacitors to fix the incompatibility.

If you are going to talk to IWILL tech support, you should go in armed with the aforementioned article.

Solution:

A) RMA as above, but if the manufacturer/reseller just swaps mobos, you have the luck of the draw whether or not the new mobo will exhibit the problem.

B) http://www.chewan.freeserve.co.uk/

For the adventurous... Here's a KT7 mod that by-passes the PWM circuit (and thereby circumventing the problem) by connecting the PSU's +3.3V line directly to the I/O power line on the mobo.

This mod would need to be modified for all the other mobos, including IWILL.

C) http://www.open.org/~cowanm/bp6/agpmod.htm

An easier mod, that doesn't involve probing for a MOSFET. This is a mod for the Abit BP6. You simply connect the +3.3V and Ground lines from the backside of the power connector to the corresponding AGP pins.

NOTE: The author points out that the picture shows the wrong connection for ground. It should be the third pin (A5) down on the second column from the left. The picture shows the ground connection on the second pin (A3).

Great post. I would suggest doing the mod from the solder pad for the ATX connector on the back of the board to the mosfet.

Are the simptoms of the no post problem accompanied by any beeps? The article refers to three, my experience has been no beeps.

Colin (Jul 29, 2001 06:05 p.m.):
Great post. I would suggest doing the mod from the solder pad for the ATX connector on the back of the board to the mosfet.

Are the simptoms of the no post problem accompanied by any beeps? The article refers to three, my experience has been no beeps.

Whether you get beeps or not depends on the board. The KK266 will not beep.

OK here are photos of the tests. The scale is a 10 volt scale. I highlighted the tic marks since the image is somewhat blurry due to a low quality web cam, an unsteady hand, and JPG image compression.

Here's where I measure the voltage with no card. You can also see where I place the probe because it's hidden in the next two images.

[img="[URL]http://members.home.net/bwg1974/VoltageNoCard.jpg[/URL]"]

Here's the voltage with a Matrox G200 installed.

[img="[URL]http://members.home.net/bwg1974/VoltageMatrox.jpg[/URL]"]

And finally the voltage with a Gainward GeForce3. Notice the voltage drop. 1 V!!! (And before someone jumps in that it's an underpowered PSU, this system is equpped with an Enermax EG465P-VE.)

[img="[URL]http://members.home.net/bwg1974/VoltageGeForce.jpg[/URL]"]

The probe point is also the place where you solder the wire from the 3.3V line from your PSU to the motherboard.

Update: The operation was a success. I jumpered the Q30 MOSFET to Pin 10 on the front panel connector, placing the wire on the bottom of the motherboard. (My soldering iron must have been under powered because I had a heck of a time soldering the wire to the MOSFET.) Then I ran a connector from pin 10 to a front mounted switch which then connects to the 3.3V line on the AUX connector to complete the circuit. So whenever I shutdown the system and need to turn it back on, I just flip the switch on. Once it gets past the POST, I turn the switch off. And because I wired the connection to the front panel, I can disconnect the wire whenever I have to remove the motherboard.

I documented most of the work and I'll post that later. Time for bed.

Back