• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Visual Basic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Linux_NEWB

Registered
I got a question. I was checking out google for some VB tutorials out of curiosity. I saw a few methods of writing the infamous Hello World. One was [start]
input "Hello World"
[end]

And another dealt with console and such. WHich is right, can anyone confirm...thanks. ALso can someone give me a good site where i can learn how to use VB. ALl i keep seeing is the the compiler and crap. I wanna know the actual language. THanks a lot guys, peace. :D

Anyone know where i can get a good COmpiler for windows? VB compiler of course. if so gimme link plz

Nvm. VB compiler* costs 500+. I was also enlightened to the fact that VB sucks

VB .NET compiler is free and, since it is based on the .NET framework, it doesn't suck as much as older versions of VB (for the people that thinks it sucks).

nemisys, have you ever noticed how everyone seems to think VB sucks. I just wonder how many have actually used it for any extended periods of time or used it on a critical project...

Yes, I have noticed.

A lot of the concept of VB sucking revolves around the fact that VB is a fairly easy language to learn (imo). This coupled with some limitation of previous version of VB has contributed to this viewpoint. Throw in a semi-elitist approach by C/C++ programmers (in general) and you have a pretty good bias against VB.

However, if you look at the latest version of VB (VB .NET), you will see many enhancements and some of the evolution of the language into a true Object Oriented language.

Now, with VB .NET, any illusions that VB "sucks" should start to fall away. It is worth noting the C# is the only language that is 100% .NET compiant as it was written to leverage .NET whereas VB was adjusted to fit .NET. So, there will still be limitations for VB, but most programmers would be hard pressed to find a situation that does not have an efficient workaround.

So, all said, that is my editorial comment. VB doesn't suck :)

Back