• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help overclocking my 1.8 celeron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harryinny3

I just installed a MSI MS-6533E MOBO and it says it is overclockable. Right now im running 100Mgh\400Mgh. The Multiplier is at 18 and There is another setting that Has an option of either 1.4 or 1.1.

I have no idea on how to do this. I can change the Multiplier, i can change the bus from 100, to 133.

What would be a good way to over clock this, if it can be done. And how do i test it to see what i got after?

ANY help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

MSI-6533E MOBO
celeron 1.8
640 Mb DDR2100\266
Gforce4 MX440SE 64Mb (getting 4600\128)

Harry

The multiplier is locked, so changing that wouldn't do anything. You have to increase the FSB (system frequency or system bus speed). Hopefully, you have some settings other than just 100 and 133 FSB, because it'll be impossible to ever get a Willamette 1.8 CPU to run at 133 FSB (2.4 gig).

Thanks Batboy,

basically the Manual says this board is overclockable. I can enter a different multiplier in the freq. options. Im at 18 now. I did notice that the puter ran alot faster when i put it to 23. But i just downloades MBM5 so i can see a difference if there is one in the clock speed. When i make changes they do not show in the MyComputer properties. Is that normal? I have options in the FSB of Default,100,133. Are those the Settings for FSB? Whats the difference in the FSB, and a bus speed of 400 stated on the board Docs? I have Memory settings of 133, 266, 366, and SPD. Whats a good Setting for this?

When i change the FSB? to 133 the BIOS saves, but the puter wont boot up unless i cut power and turn it on again after saveing. After that I can shut down and it will boot fine, And faster.

Any additional help would be awesome.

Thanks for your help.

Harry

Like I said, the multiplier is locked on the CPU. You can change all the multiplier settings in the BIOS all you want, but it won't matter, because it's still locked at 18X. If you don't believe me, try changing it and see what the CPU clock speed says at boot up. It'll say 1800 MHz or 1.8 gig no matter what multiplier you try. Like I also said, it'll be impossible to run a Willamette 1.8 at 133 FSB. Dude, you're screwed as far as overclocking goes with that mobo and CPU. The system bus for P-4's is a quad pumped bus, so 100 FSB times 4 equals 400 MHz. In regards to memory settings, your PC2100 is rated for 266 MHz, so I would use that setting.

So batboy,

What processor should i buy? Is there a particular Manufacturer or anything i should know? Also since im New at this, What kind of thermal Grease? Or whatever should i get? Thanks for any help man, I appreciate it.

BTW Thw MOBO listed in the posts were wrong. I dont have that Intel Junk anymore. Everything in that board was locked. I changer the Sys info to reflect the MOBO.

Harry

If you plan on getting another CPU, then get a P-4 Northwood (make sure it has 512k cache). Arctic Silver thermal paste is the best. If you plan on keeping your motherboard, be aware it is very limiting. Sounds like you have only two settings, 100 and 133 FSB. Not much choice there. My Abit mobo goes from 100 to 250 FSB in 1 MHz increments. If you're on a tight budget and plan to keep the mobo, then I would get a 1.8a or a 2.0a Northwood and then overclock it to 133 FSB. This would give you 2.4 or 2.66 gig. Personally, I'd sell the mobo, CPU, and RAM as a combo and get maybe an Abit BE7 or BH7 mobo, maybe a 2.4b CPU, and Corsair XMS PC3200 DDR memory and then overclock it to 3 gig.

Thank you very much.

At this point i have to keep this MOBO. The only case i have is A micro ATX and this MOBO was cheap, and is much better than the 845GL intel i had. As for the 1.8a and 2.0a, What should i ask the Computer place About this northwood deal?

Anyway Thanks for the info. I am dissabled with a broken back, and have very limited funds. Would love to Get better Equip, but at this point i cant. I will be getting Some top of the line EQP soon, and will Build a monster. I hope.

Thanks again

Harry

The 1.8a Northwood is fairly cheap and is a no brainer to overclock to 2.4 gig (133 FSB), often with default voltage. If you go for the 2.0a P-4, I'd get the C1 stepping to make sure it'll do 133 FSB at or near default voltage. Personally, I'd just keep what you have until you can afford to build a new system. If you really "have" to get a better CPU... then the 1.8a Northwood might be your best bargain. Make sure it has 512k cache (your 1.8 Celeron only has 128k cache and the P-4 Willamettes have 256k cache). The extra L2 cache does markedly improve performance, plus overclocking it to 133 FSB will help a lot too.

Back