• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Halflife/Counterstrike woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frodo Baggins

I just got both games today...and I'm having some bad trouble...

The problem is that when I set my video modes to Direct 3D, and when I go into the game, and pres escape to go to the menu, nothing displayes except a black screen! I can press escape, and return the game, but I can't do anything else!!! I think the save menu is coming up because when I press Alt-Tab to minimize, I can see the menu for a split second before it minimizes, but I can't save/load/quit, etc!!!

The problem is that this doesn't appear when I use the Software mode, which is UGLY...so I need some help please...

I'm using an ATI Rage 98' 8 MB

half life runs alot better under opengl so if you can id use that, otherwise there are a lot of video errors (alt-tabing looses sound/brings up a mouse curser ALL THE TIME, black screen in esc, etc etc.) there supposed to be addressing some in the 1.6 patch

if all your needing is saving though you can bind a key to quick save, i believe the default is f5 or f4 (quick load is the one quick save isnt )

Odd, I never had this problem, ever.

Now, whenever I try to leave the game, in openGL or d3d, I hit escape and a black screen comes up. I can't do anything from there, I need to restart the computer. This happens with regular half-life, TFC, and NS.

THe only changes I made to the comp were I switched to a radeon 9500 pro (retail ATi) and got an Nforce2 NF7 v2.0. It worked fine before these upgrades, now I really can't play it without having to restart the comp. I even clocked back to stock, to no avail.

Man, I feel your pain. I had that exact same video card for the longest time. It won't play anything nice. I ended up throwing it into a server box and buying myself a sparkly new Radeon 64Mb DDR VIVO when they were first out on the market. (EDIT: by the by, Oni's got the same radeon I have for sale, for pretty cheap too..).

If you don't got the cash to spend for a new video card, learn the quick save/load hotkeys, and to quit, pull down the console (~ tilde key) and type quit, and hit enter. :)

Oh, and BTW: I hope you didn't buy both games.. Counterstrike is a free mod for halflife which you can download at www.counter-strike.net and install on half-life (or you can buy counterstrike retail, but you don't get half-life singleplayer levels with it)

Last edited:
I had the exact same problem. To the best of my knowledge it is a ATI driver problem. Cats 3.2 cause this problem for me. I use Cats 3.1 with no problem except I have to click on disconnect twice for it to disconnect in the Net Games options.

TheFrag said:
opengl fixes none of those problems for me...

Fixed 'em for me.

Sorry, Frodo, looks like you'll be needing a new video card. Try looking for a GeForce 2 or 3. Shouldn't cost ya too much.

I suggest a new video card like veryonre else has been saying. I had a Ati radeon 32 mb PCI card which ran pretty much the same thing your describing. I just bought a new geforce 4 card to solve it.

Back