• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can not connect to internet.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Durin

My friend has a problem. He cannot connect to internet, and icq doesn't work.

However MSN Messenger and Kazaa do work. Any idea whats up?

if MSN and Kazaa is working he is able to get on to the "internet"

is he geting an error messages?
how is he connecing?
has he rebooted, yes even with winxp?
is he using a nic to connect, if so is the port disabled?
is there power to the modem/router/switch, if they need it?
what os is he running?
are all of the cables correctly connected, i dont know how many hours i have spent trying to get my mouse to work, when all i needed to do was plug the damn thing back in :(?

need more info.

Is he running a firewall ?
If so what ports are blocked ?

Is he connecting through a proxy ?
Is the proxy correctly configured ?

After all those questions have been sorted out and you're still having a problem, check your internet settings...I'm assuming that you're using IE...Go into Tools>Internet Options...>Connections and make sure that those settings correspond to your internet connection...If you're on a LAN-type connection (DSL/Cable/T1-3/etc.), make sure your LAN settings are properly configured.
What type of connection is it, BTW?

Soy

He is not using a firewall or a router.
And I can ping him, and he can ping me.
I tell him that it is some setting in IE that is wrong, but he says no to that......
So yes, he is connecting to "the internet" but browsers doesn't work. Neither does Battle.net

Try refreshing the DHCP information. His DNS settings might be messed up. Get him to try pinging a domain name, like www.google.com. If that doesn't work it is a good indication that DNS is not working.

try tpying

ipconfig/release

then

ipconfig/renew

If that doesn't work, run the internet setup wizard.

c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Connection Wizard\inetwiz.exe

Back