• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vantec Aeroflow heatsink copper center question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tonto

Registered
Well this will show I'm a newb. I finally got my P4 2.66 and I noticed how large the metal shield is on top of the chip.
I look at the round copper center of the Vantec heatsink and I find it's smaller.

Now my copper center is not flush with the surrounding aluminum (stick further out) so when install it the whole surface of the CPU will not be covered? Is this right?
Is it that the hot part of the chip is in the center so it doesn't matter about the coverage or is my heatsink totally FUBAR with the copper center sticking out past the rest of the base?

Thanks
T.

It is ok....

Hi Tonto, To answer your question your heatsink is ok, they are made like that...I read a review on them last night..The copper slug is circular and covers 80% of the heatspreader. It is copper which is an excellent heat conductor..Here is a review link :- http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1260 hope this helps I am looking at buying one as well...Cya Spanner out P.S don't forget AS3 or thermal paste to go onto the heatspreader.....

Thanks folks, good news :D
Knew it was a good HS but really thought it odd/wrong about the size.
Got the AS3 ready... now just so long as I don't snap anything :)

T.

i have that heat sink and you should make sure that you orient the heat sink in such a way as to cover the copper spot with the chip----you can put the heat sink on two ways...twisting it 180 degrees...

pip said:
don't worry about the core just make sure your fan pulls air away from the hs for this one that's the way it was made

Actually the Aeroflow is designed to have the fan blow in and as such, comes from the factory wired to do so. In all honesty, the difference should be small either way.

i agree with slo---but i think pip meant that air flows away from the heat sink in the aeroflow...because if you feel around the edge of the hs---you will feel air coming out of the heat sink----but i think that is from the fan blowing air into it...

The airflow away from the heatsink is the fan blowing in. The Aeroflow is designed to push the air that is drawrn in out form the sides creating a better flow and better cooling.

I have that same heatsink. Let me say this-- first off- don't use that cheap thermal paste.

Second, I would look very carefully into that slug in the center. If my suspicions are corrent, I think that slug sticks out a tiny tiny bit further than the aluminum.

My 2000+ pally is small enough to make contact with only the copper, but I don't know if the whole bottom is flush. Know what I mean?

About those saying the fan should be reversed. I totally disagree. If you examine that heatsink, you will notice that the air escapes the heatsink toward the bottom. If you were to reverse that flow, it would be pulling warm air from directly above the hot cpu, and you would get downgraded performance.

Also- there are some problems with that model. In once instance, my old tower had to have its PSU removed while i installed the heatsink because I couldnt push those super massive brackets down onto the socket clips.

Another problem is that this model is fairly large. One mobo had little compasitors that were too close to it, I had to actually bend them outward from the cpu in order to even install the hsf.

But aside from that, this fan on that model is opposite that of a normal fan. Instead of it spinning from the center, it spins from the outer edge. The motor and electromagnets are on the outer edge of the fan. This is supposed to be more quiet and efficient.

There are no hissing or wining noises like that of a stock amd fan. But it's not quiet. The primary noise is actually the sound of airflow... but no weeeeeeee noise that is present on some fans.

Ok, thats the end of my heatsink review :)

Yep it does stick out. But from spannermans link it is meant to be that way.. guess it removes the problem of trying to make it flat and having it being to far 'in' which would ruin the whole thing.

Oh yes not going to use the paste that came with it. I'll use the tape from the standard P4 fan... j/k I'v got the AS3 already.

Yeah the fan is pretty slick. It's going to be a fun weekend but still waiting for UPS to deliver the freakin memory.

T.

yeah, the copper sticks out a little---but i still get great temps...just like the oc'er review i get about 12 degrees above ambient temp....41-43C...and it is about the quietest air heatsink fan combo that works this well out there...

i use artic silver (the original---4 years old)...

pip said:
sorry about my comment ive just seen several people saying that the fan should be pulling rather than pushing

No need to be sorry! I've heard it to before but read in many reviews about the design that forces air going in, to be pushed out of the sides.

Chan said:
How much louder is this HSF compared to the Intel HSF for the P4?

A review I read said about 10db, or twice as loud to the human ear. I would say at least that. It is definitely audible and enough so to be irritating. I bought a thermaltake 3 pos. switch to adjust the speed and leaving it ad medium setting results in a MUCH quieter fan running about 1000 rps less (full speed about 5600rps) and only costing1-2 deg C in cooling. I think I saw a temp drop of abou 6-7 deg C under load.

Well the suckers on. Quite a bit of push is needed to get that last clamp on. Was waiting for the copper center to pop out the other side of the mobo :eek:
Did figure a way to get it on with no sliding over the chip so the contact should be good.

No problem with the HS/mobo and capacitors getting in the way. The ASUS P4PE has the mounting bracket already on and no capacitors are in that area.

UPS tracking says mem is arriving Monday!

T.

i know about the difficulty in putting that hs on----i was sure i was gonna break the mb---without the screwdriver---it might be impossible on the soyo TISU....

on the quietness---it is really quiet---not much louder than the stock fan for the tualatin...and i can't here it over my case fans...though i do have 5 vantec stealth fans (but they too are pretty quiet)...

from what i've heard and read it is way, way cooler than the volcano's and just about as good a cooler

Back