• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GAIN - The new Gator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

|3lackmagiK

Alright, the most annoying program in the world, Gator, has been replaced by an even more annoying program, GAIN, that is pop-up hell.

It actually SLOWS down my interenet surfing, due to the fact that all info goes thru the software and if "key" words are typed or submitted, (E.g- Searching in google for "car" will result in a window with google's results for "car" and a GAIN advertisement pup-up with a Hertz Rental commerical.)

Anyone have any idea how to un-install it? I don't know how it got there in the first place(i always customize my installs - so that something like this won't install) and the fact that it isn't listed as a program in "add/remove progs".....

So if it's not a program, and a search of my comp results in NOTHING with the words GAIN or so.... could it be a plugin... etc???

HELP!

When I had this problem I used the link below it tells you what programs you are using have the Gator crap in them. For me it was the DivX codecs so I remove the ones that had the spyware and all was good. I dont know if it works for the current one you have but try the link and see if it shows anything on your comp.

http://webpdp.gator.com/gain/about-gain-01.html

I've searched thru EVERYWHERE a program could hide....

1.) ADd/Remove Progs : Nope - smart enough to take it outta here.

2.) Registry : An entry was never created in the form of Gain/Gator.

3.) Program History : Same as above.

One thing that i have taken notice tho... is that the ads pop-out from where my clock is at the bottom right hand corner.... i can't pin-point whether or not it's from the IE window or the "background" programs... but i think it may be safe to say that it's the background.

WaTaGuMp said:
When I had this problem I used the link below it tells you what programs you are using have the Gator crap in them. For me it was the DivX codecs so I remove the ones that had the spyware and all was good. I dont know if it works for the current one you have but try the link and see if it shows anything on your comp.

http://webpdp.gator.com/gain/about-gain-01.html

Is it supposed to list programs??? It comes up with none.

Gain by it's self does not uninstall. When you remove the program that came with the Gain install it will take the Gain prog with it. I have had to do this many times at work due to people not reading the popups and just hitting OK.

But you see, the point is that i don't know WHICH program installed with it..............................................................

Otherwise this coulda been a simple fix..... arg... lemme go try adaware

Oh my - i know the whole screening process - I ALWAYS make a habit of doing a "custom" install of certain programs - which most of the time if not always involves me UNCHECKING spyware...

*SIGH*

If I remember correctly GAIN installs in a half dozen different places, including a file in %windir% and %systemroot% however main files are in program files\GMT\

In the registry delete all mention of GMT especially in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
(as long as you're there look for BDE, BD3, B3D another spyware favorite)

Restart your comp. do Ctrl + Alt + Del and look for GMT under the processes tab. If it's not there I THINK you've killed GAIN... for this week.

(Oh yeah, Ad Aware will do all this for you... only advantage I can think of offhand to doing it this way is in the process create empty files with the names of the actual files and make them read-only (EDIT: Deny all users write permission under file security, not simply read only) this may keep GAIN from installing again)

Last edited:
Back