• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another happy dual Barton customer :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaltag

Just got my dual 2500s running on the k7d master. Thank you to all who helped me out with this one. Especially you theotherphil!!! This thing just screams :) My only complaint is i can't increase the fsb AT ALL without getting the BSD when windows starts booting. I've adjusted all the timings and that hasn't helped at all. So so far i'm stuck at 133X15 but we'll see what happens when my water cooling parts arrive. Once again thanks to all. :)

You better protect that thing, b/c when you least expect it I will climb through your window and "borrow" it from you. :D

P.S. Thats a nice looking dog in your avatar.

Dodgy PSU? Reckon you need an Antec if so, should be able to clock it more than that.......

Btw OtherPill i am speaking to chillblast about my processors, cheers mate top find, got bits en route from US now and case will be built inside few weeks.

Hehe, there's nothing like waiting for new bits to arrive ;). I've had a fun afternoon fitting my watercooling gear to my dual XP2500's.....I never knew my Atlas 10KIII's were so loud :)

That system must scream!

I wish you could change the multi to see if it was ur cpu's or your ram that's crapping out on u.

What temps do u have?

I finally got it to post at 150fsb but windows has a BSD about the usb driver now :( the PSU is an antec 450. all fsb adjustments are unstable except 133 which is rock solid. I've adjusted the voltage all the way up to 1.85 but that hasn't improved stability at all. I suspect my cooling is currently to blame cpu1 and 2 at 50c idle and 61 load. my 5v rail is kinda low at 4.78 load but all other rails are well within spec.

P.S. 3dmark 2001 se 11650, 3d mark 03 4199 with radeon 9700 pro

kaltag said:
I finally got it to post at 150fsb but windows has a BSD about the usb driver now :( the PSU is an antec 450. all fsb adjustments are unstable except 133 which is rock solid. I've adjusted the voltage all the way up to 1.85 but that hasn't improved stability at all. I suspect my cooling is currently to blame cpu1 and 2 at 50c idle and 61 load. my 5v rail is kinda low at 4.78 load but all other rails are well within spec.

P.S. 3dmark 2001 se 11650, 3d mark 03 4199 with radeon 9700 pro

What kind of memory are you using and what are your memory settings?

*EDIT* By the way, I wouldn't worry too much about your 5V line. I don't know where the system reads the 5V, but it's kinda screwy. My Vantec Silencer 550 shows 4.73 on the 5V when at full load, but if I measure from a molex, I get about 4.98V. My system is rock solid, despite the low 5V reading.

cmcquistion said:

What kind of memory are you using and what are your memory settings?

*EDIT* By the way, I wouldn't worry too much about your 5V line. I don't know where the system reads the 5V, but it's kinda screwy. My Vantec Silencer 550 shows 4.73 on the 5V when at full load, but if I measure from a molex, I get about 4.98V. My system is rock solid, despite the low 5V reading.

I can confirm this. I get 4.85 to 4.87 reading but with my DMM I see the antec true is putting out 5.02V

both sticks of ram are Crucial/micron brand. they are registered ECC but I don't have ECC enabled. I am currently using the default memory timings mainly because I honestly don't know what they should be. thanks for the input so far guys :)

P.S. My motherboard and windows also only see the two processors as unknown type @ 2 ghz SMP work fine with video editing and all other smp enabled apps. Just curious if this is normal with the barton cores in dual applications?

Last edited:
kaltag said:
both sticks of ram are Crucial/micron brand. they are registered ECC but I don't have ECC enabled. I am currently using the default memory timings mainly because I honestly don't know what they should be. thanks for the input so far guys :)

P.S. My motherboard and windows also only see the two processors as unknown type @ 2 ghz SMP work fine with video editing and all other smp enabled apps. Just curious if this is normal with the barton cores in dual applications?

That Crucial PC2100 may very well be what is limiting you to 144 FSB.

Try these manual RAM settings with it @ 150 FSB:

If it will run at 150 with those settings, then try this:

update: just ran through all of the timing settings and nothing has helped. I have gotten into windows once at 138 fsb but it took 5 min to boot and ran like it was on a 133 Pentium 1 or something! The exact error i'm getting is driver_irql_not less_than_or equal. what does this pertain to if anyone knows? The system is water cooled now at 43c load and 39 idle. I don't think heat is the problem now. Now at even defualt settings it's a slug, this thing took me from happy to uber peeved!!!! sorry for complaining so much but I really want this thing to be able to achieve better than STOCK!!

That error is one that I have gotten before, when I set the memory settings a little too agressive.

It may have other sources, but that has been my experience with it.

Try just one stick of memory at a time. It could be jsut one of the memory sticks is the limiting factor.

Have tried both sticks and neither has helped about to try my non registered stick to see if it works

update: my generic unregistered stick of ddr works up to 140 fsb without issue so It's definately my RAM having the issues. So now I would like to know of any recommendations for some REGISTERED PC2700. I'd like to thank everyone who gave me some input on this and i'd also like to say sorry for nagging you so much.

Back