• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extremely pricy Intel cpu ($2500)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
At my school we have a program called Strut and it stands for students recycling used technolgy, and people send them there used computers and other junk like old servers and printers etc.. well Intel is a huge supporter of Strut and donated thousands of processors and motherboards every year, I am talking about PIII and some nice high end slot 2 Xeons with 2mb of cache :eek: well a few months ago I got to go up to Portland to there main Warehouse and Office and Guess what I found about 7-10 Itaniums they were the first versons the 32-bit ones, but I think they were unuseable or broken but anyway I grabed 4 of them for my teacher, heavy little things about the size of a pII and made of metal, I could not open them up because they have some funky type of screw that I needed a special tool for. they also don't have many pins about 400 or so, strange things wish the school had a server for them to work in.

hey mr T do they let u grab a cpu for urself? my mom has a slot 1 p2 300 if i can get a really cheap upgrade that would b kewl :) i mean like a fast enuf cpu so i could put it to fold

max

would not work, becides somone was caught selling some strut stuff on eBay and got schanked by the FBI and Intel. Everytime somone asks for a trade in computer parts bewteen there own and struts, my teacher ALWAYS refuses he will not even talk about it, and also somone was caught stealing some Xeons from the lab, OOO he got schanked bad real bad. ow. :sn:

i hope the x86-64 amd's will be cheap enough for me to buy it...
itanium or itanium is not cpu for normal computers...

so are the itaniums meant for higher end servers or ... what? that would make the xeons the bargain server chip?!? has anyone actually seen an itanium in action?

yes the xeons are the bargain chips, except that they work with 32bit software.. making them the top of the line for normal stuff. itanium's require a special version of unix (?) to run since they are 64bit.

i read something a while back that said that intel got sued over something with the itanium and that they would hafta stop making it or something to that effect rendering all that R+D time wasted.

Maxvla said:
yes the xeons are the bargain chips, except that they work with 32bit software.. making them the top of the line for normal stuff. itanium's require a special version of unix (?) to run since they are 64bit.

i read something a while back that said that intel got sued over something with the itanium and that they would hafta stop making it or something to that effect rendering all that R+D time wasted.

All Itaniums can execute IA-32 (i.e. normal 32-bit x86) code. But they do it through emulation, which causes a performance hit. Every commercial Itanium is 64-bits though -- that is _the_ purpose of the chip. There are 64-bit versions of Windows, UNIX, linux, and supposedly OpenVMS for Itanium.

Companies sue Intel, and co., all the time when they don't have products of their own to sell. I think in this case one company said Intel infringed on one of their arcane patents, and so Intel agreed to pay them a few pennies for it. But there's been no ruling that would keep Intel from selling Itaniums.

that is the Itanium 2 the original the 733mhz and 800Mhz ones are 32-bit

No, all Itaniums are 64-bit.

Back