• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats a good monitor..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zippykid9

i'm looking for a new monitor (for gaming and graphics design, mainly for gaming) I currently have a 17' with a max res of 1280x960... I'm looking for monitors in the 20'' veiwable with a max res of 2048x1530 (or whatever that insanely high res is) I want something around the $500 range, the best thing I have found is the veiwsonic g220fb. Anyone have any better suggestions or is happy with that particular monitor?

oh and btw, I'm on a friends account, and those aren't my specs,
I'm running athlon xp 2200+ with a gigabyte maya 2 radeon 9700 pro, 512 megs pc2700 on a gigabyte ga7vrxp mobo (I think thats the name of it)

I'd say you have a nice monitor the way it is, so wait 6 months and then buy a nice LCD.

Zippykid9 said:
I don't like lcd's, refresh too slow and I can't really get one thats affordable at 20'' viewable

Exactly my point.

Wait 6 months and you might just be able to.

It's not like you have a 13.2" viewable monitor like me, you have a monitor that you can easily surivive 6 months on.

i have a 17'' on 1280x1024 and its gonna be fine for me for a while. I think i'm probably gonna do what ben said and just wait it out for a while and then try and get a nice BIG LCD.

I hate LCDs, they just suck.

I just got another CRT 19" (18"view), .26, 1600*1200max, running 1024*768@120MHz

for 99$ :D

There was a 17" LCD for 299$:rolleyes: ...that was not a tough choice.

Viewsonic makes some great monitors....

Samsung is another that i have started to see things from that i like.... But my 1st choice would be a Viewsonic "P" model monitor

oh, and i am a die-hard CRT users. LCD's just dont do it for me (yet)

If you could stretch your budget to $650 there are a couple of very good 21" monitors I could recommend. But every one I've seen at $500 or less (for a new monitor) had serious image quality problems. Fuzzy text, poor color seperation and tone, and below average brightness are the most common in cheap 21" monitors. And because they are bigger the problems are that much more obvious.

For under $500 you can get a high-quality used 21" through a reputable dealer on eBay, but be leary of any deals that sound too good to be true. Sellers know that a Sony F520, Viewsonic P225F or Mitsubishi 2060u in near-new condition can easily pull $500-600 on eBay, and they price them accordingly. If someone is offering one for $300 or less, there is either something wrong with it or the seller is running a scam.

Your safest bet would be to buy a new, high-quality 19" monitor. This is really the sweet spot in the monitor market right now. You can pick from the best 19" on the market for less than $400, and the picture quality is every bit as good as a 21" that costs twice as much. The picture quality also makes it easy to run games at up to 1600x1200.

Among the 19" on the market now, I like the Sony G420S and Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930, and my favorite is the Viewsonic P95F+, which you can get at Newegg for under $300 including shipping.

BHD

dont go LCD, definatly go CRT with Viewsonic/Mitsubishi. Viewsonic P225f is what I have, its a 22" CRT flat screen, its amazing.

I agree with BHD...The ViewSonic P95F+ is a great bargin...I recently purchased the Sony CDP G420S and it is really nice, dual inputs, killer specs, really nice piece...The Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 920S has the best picture IMHO...24dot pitch across the entire screen...nice specs...Any of these three 19" monitors are killer...LCD's are making up ground on the CRT world as far as gaming is concerned...The Hitachi CML 174 started it all with the first 16ms response time LCD...Now we have everybody scrambling to catch up...Should get intersting...As far as 21" monitors the Mitsubishi 2060's are just awesome...:D

Zippykid9 you could try looking for an Eizo monitor, they are some of the worlds best.
I have some (T57s x4 & a F563-T) and they are real stunning but time has moved on since mine so they will be much better now.
LaCie do the best monitor I have ever seen, its called an Electron22 Blue IV THIS is LaCie's page for it

I like that LaCie one. I was expecting much more than $400 though, that doesn't seem like TOO bad of a price for the 19in. If I was getting a new monitor, that's what i'd go for.

-CPFitz-

its just about the best ive seen, the hood amkes a differance too.
Id love 1 for my dualie she's blue and silver so this would look gr8 with it but went with the Eizo's instead

If you can stretch your budget a little more I would suggest getting a Sony CPD-G520P monitor for $622 at Newegg, but if you have to stay at or below $500 you can also get the Sony CPD-E540 also at Newegg. The E540 doesn't go all the way up to 2048 X 1536 resolution, at least according to Newegg, but 21" monitors are made to run at 1600 X 1200 anyway. Sure you could push the res up higher, but you letters will be very small and some what hard to read at that higher than 1600 X 1200 resolution. I plan on getting an E540 to compliment my G520 for some dual monitor luvin :D.

Back