• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Basement cooling - suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HiProfile

Looking at E_Man's thread, http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1644929#post1644929 , it dawned on me that I might have the perfect conditions for basement cooling.

I have the hole already availible, originally just to be a coax cable hole (rectangular for a proper cover). Atm its wide open and used for the tv coax I don't use and the network cable (router in another room). Run tubing (maybe pvc?) down there, use a huge heater core (buick or camaro I think), maybe 2 VA pumps like E_Man, except maybe in series for the long trip. There just happens to be a power box/junction right next to the hole under there...AND that area is cooled in the summer. Heck, its only 5' from the duct...I smell A/C'd watercooling! PLUS that area is 3' from the basement door (sorta built into a hill) and it gets colder than a witch's 'thingy' in winter. I don't think I can go wrong.

My only problems are thus: not sure what heater core to use (although I can search here for one that Autozone/etc. would have new) and which pump(s) to use. The AV 1300 is 370gph with a 6' head, and 2 either in series or parallel would fit the bill - I'm looking at maybe 3' for the overall verticle travel and I'll be cooling the cpu, the hdds and maybe the nb and psu as well. What is a good, cheap pump like the AV 1300, possibly used in a pair, that would mirror 2 AV 1300's but maybe have more flow/head (with noise as the natural byproduct)? Basicly I want the best pump for this setup - noise isn't a problem, nor is reliability (within reason), since even if one pump fails, I have a backup. As you can tell, I want an *absolutely* silent PC. One of the dreams of a light sleeper.

BTW - all this for a [possibly heavily OC'd] tb-b 1700+, 2 maxtors (5400 & 7200 rpm), a 350w Antec psu or the cheap-o 300w and an 8k9a kt400 board.

Thanks for any help or info you can provide.

Edit: forgot to add that I might have a solid-state relay in there with a switch to run pumps with pc off. Pumps can either turn on/off with PSU or bypass the relay and always run.

Last edited:
My heatercore has been in the basement under my desk for about a year now, and I love it. It's also powered by a single ViaAqua 1300, and keeps cpu temps around 25-26C. I run a cpu, northy, and gpu block, all in parallel.

When you run a sealed system, there's no need to worry about pump head, as the water in the return side of the loop is falling and creating suction, that assists the pressure side water in going up. An open system would suffer, but not an enclosed one.
The only consideration is that a long run of tubing will slow down the water from friction alone, so I run 3/4" pvc from desk level down to the basement, then 1/2" tubing to my Ford heatercore.
At the top, I have 1/2" tubing feeding the 3/8" waterblocks in the computer.

Need to know anything else, let me know...

On my system, which as you can saw uses alot of tubing I used two maxijet 1200s in series. On my first block when i turned of my second pump the temperatures didn't changed at all. On this new block they change by 2C. My system is one of the more restricted ones. If you dont care about reliability you can use one pump, but two pumps is better, especially if your talking about pushing 150+ cfms through your heater core in your basement.

I think what I'll end up doing is using 2 pumps and just larger tubing for the basement. I have to have the pump almost 8' from the hole now, since the area below the hole will soon be a bathroom w/shower and need a sealed ceiling (darned wooded rafters...). I think that smaller basement lines (smaller than Diggrr's tubes w/1 pump) will be enough with 2 pumps in series. I also decided to cool the psu, hdds and cpu only. A GF2 can't get very hot, nor can a kt400 nb. Neither really need much active cooling anyways. I'll be buying a tc-4 and a chevette heater core [in case I need to fit it on the case eventually] and slap a 108 cfm sunon on it.

I'll be going to Cocoa Beach, FL next week, so I'll be starting on this when I get back. I'm really looking forward to *silent* high OC's.

Back