• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP 2200, is it burnt and is it safe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fuzzbeaner

In my travels at NewEgg Scratch + Dent I came across a 2200+ CPU. I bought it for $12, and it appears to have a brown sort of bump on the bottom.

Question One: Is this CPU Definately Fried?

Question Two: Is it safe to try it out in my current MB? Can it cause any damage to any other components?

Thanks for your time

-Jeff

If not, $12 isn't bad for an XP2200 keychain. It's cool to say that you have a faster chip on your keychain than most people have in their computers :cool:

Picture

Ok, I borrowed my Dad's Digital Camera, and here she is. Nasty huh?

chip.jpg

Tell me your thoughts...

-Jeff

Thats nasty...only way to tell is by sticking it in your motherboard and give it a shot...if it is burnt...nothing will boot up...if it is still good, then you got one hell of a deal at 12.00...

It's probably safe to try it since the worst that will happen if the cpu is dead is that the system won't boot up.

CRAP

Well, it doesn't work, but it might be my fault. I FORGOT TO PUT ON THE HEATSINK FAN WHEN I TRIED IT! Ahh. So, does the burning smell mean "processor worked" so I can go kill myself, or could this still mean it was dead anyways?

-Jeff

Wait did you forget to put on the heatsink or just the fan?

If it's just the heatsink you had on, without a fan, the proc wouldn't have burned up instantly.

The whole shabang. Yea, I know, tell me about it. Lesson number one. Oh well. 12 dollars, but that's not much...

Stupid DST...

-Jeff

Re: CRAP

Fuzzbeaner said:
Well, it doesn't work, but it might be my fault. I FORGOT TO PUT ON THE HEATSINK FAN WHEN I TRIED IT! Ahh. So, does the burning smell mean "processor worked" so I can go kill myself, or could this still mean it was dead anyways?

-Jeff

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I nearly passed out when i read that!!!!!

I dont mean to make you feel bad but it it coulda worked!!!!!(60% says no)

Well look on the bright side you have a faster keychain than my proccessor (kinda sortof)

Back