• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual boot Linux/win2k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shook

I want to dual boot windows 2000 / Linux... what are all the stuff I need to change in order for it to work properly? what do I need to modify in lilo.conf? And which OS should I install 1st?

dual boot

Partition so windows has its own space (probably a good idea for 10GB for the OS (NTFS or FAT32) and a second partition (FAT32)for storing files. Linux will be able to access and store files on a Fat32 partition. Leave how ever much space you want for linux unpartitioned- just blank space(6 or more GB minimum, depending on how and how much you're going to use linux).

Install Windows first and linux second. Some distributions will configure their own lilo or grub loader, some you'll have to do it yourself. Follow directions, print out installation instructions for your distribution, and be ready to hop online to ask questions if you need to.

Last edited:
Back