• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is this inside my waterblock ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DipStickTony

I cant tell if this is corrosion or what, the water was distilled and had a capful of water wetter, and a little blue UV dye in it.

How would I go about cleaning it ?
What would I use, and where would I find a tiny allen wrench to open it up ?

onlinewb.jpg

Its not corosion, but it is some nasty stuff;) you could try to run CLR through the block, if that doesnt work, then head to a local hardware store with the block and find an alen wrench that fits.

eww stuff growing! lol. well they sell wrenches that open it on their site or dtek sells them i beleive. not sure about the same size or not

seriously wtf is that stuff !!!! Ahhhhhh My dad thinks that the finish on the copper is coming off kinda like a scrape on a teflon non-stick pan, and that CLR wont work.

Of course hes just guessing so Ill go get some CLR to try and get rid of this stuff....also think its hindering the WB performance ? I havent checked temps since when I first hooked up the system.

Hmm...I thought I remembered my chem. teacher explaining to me that water...no matter what you add to it.....will begin to oxidize when water touches it unless it has a special coating. Maybe thats the prob.

tapeworm poo??? wtf would a tapeworm be doing in a watercooling system?? i guess that would be kinda cool, pet tapeworm in your computer. ide tell people hes the cpu cant run the pc with out him lol

What radiator are you using?, it's more than likely crap from the rad, even new PC~specific rads have crap in them from the manufacturing process, lod car heatercores are the worst. It looks like you've not been running the maze long so I doubt it's growth or mineral deposit or fish **** ;) . There is no coating on the block, it;s copper surfaced and copper all the way through. Corrosion is usualy black tinged and will happen on Brass(barbs) or Aluminium...

Yah man shove it in a cup of Coca Cola over night =) seen what that stuff does to a penny, just the copper base, you can do it over a few times till you stop seeing the bubbles in the coke and hear is fizzing sounds silly but it works good, then you sit and wonder how ya stomah must feel after a 2 litre lol

skinart said:
Yah man shove it in a cup of Coca Cola over night =) seen what that stuff does to a penny, just the copper base

Funny you said that. I always found hot sauce will shine a penny right up. No agitation needed.

didnt know that Semi, might try that next time too see what cleens better =) what type are we talking, tabasco or somthing? lol or somthing with a little more kick

Hmmmm, I'd have to say algae growth. I work in Photofinishing. On our Film processors we have alternating tanks of water and film processing chemicals. There is a fare amount of Chemicals that get transfered into the water tanks, algae still finds a way to grow in there. Thoes chemicals are nasty stuff. Just goest to show ya, nature always finds a way.

Have you tryed scratching at it with anything? like say a metal bristled brush same size as a tooth brush?

Back