• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stability Issues with Overclocking of Xp 2700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ununquadium114

Disabled
I've done some research on overclocking, & with the help of a friend, overclocked my computer. I ran into some major problems. I raised the FSB 4 mhz from 166 to 170 & got lots of freezes & the infamous "blue screen" a lot too. Here are my specs:

Athlon Xp 2700 TBred
Asus A7N8X Dlx
512 Corsair RAM DDR333 PC2700
Vantec Tornado
SLK 800
Windows Xp Pro

The only reason I got the Tornado was so I could oc to the equivalent of P4 3 Ghz. What could make it so unstable? The CPU temp is 40 C & the mobo temp is lower. Any suggestion would be appreciated, thanks.

Is it stable if you change the multiplier, fsb, anything or just up to 4 mhz fsb. What voltage do you have you cpu @? You may need to up that some.

Multiplier is at 14x
FSB was raised from 166 to 170
Voltage was 1.675

Sure my CPU may be bad for ocing, but I should be able to OC just a bit.

can you change the multiplier and still boot can you chnge the fsb and be stable 1 mhz fsb. What temps are you getting @ full load?

I'am sry but its really hard to help you figure out you problem with out any info

Temp, Watt power supply, ability to change multiplier,

My 1st guess would be to increase the voltage but I would make sure that you temps are ok 1st.

Sry I just woke up 40 c is that full load or Idle?

Try setting the vcore voltage to cpu @ 1.75 and see what happens . Try not to get above 1.85 volts or 50 c full load no matter what.

At one point the voltage was at 1.85 & the FSB was at 174. I can boot with those settings, but I have about 5 minutes until a freeze. The temperature was 40 C in my BIOS & in Windows. I can put the multiplier at practically anything.

If your computer boots and freezes in a full load type situation after a given amount of time, then your vcore is not as high as it should be. An analogy of what vcore does is:

WHen you overclock, youre making a man run through doors faster and faster. The vcore voltage would be how fast he can open the door. If he can open the door fast enough, then your computer will be stable. If he cant open the door fast enough, your computer will freeze. Likewise, if you make him open the door too fast, he may get ahead of your speed and have some ability-to-open-doors left over. When he has to much left over, hes gonna fry your chip. Hope that helps. Generally, dont go over 1.9volts if youre knew to ocing, and dont get too far over that even if you do.

MEM could be an issue ddr333 is only spec to run @ 166 x 2 = 333.

Do you have some kinda of vddm increase in the bios if you what is it set @?

So you should have a voltage setting that will increase the ram voltage should be like 2.5 2.6 2.77 2.9 or something like that. If so try to up the vddm to 2.6 or 2.7

So, you suggest putting my VDRAM setting up as well as my voltage? Also is there any ratio of FSB increase to Voltage/VDRAM increase? Thanks

I am having a similar problem with my 2700+, only I got my cpu up to 180x13 stable. I have 3200 memory though, but my temps are pretty high. I've seen other people have problems overclocking their 2700s though, so I think its probably the chip. If you get it to overclock with high fsb, be sure to let me know!

Ununquadium114 said:
So, you suggest putting my VDRAM setting up as well as my voltage? Also is there any ratio of FSB increase to Voltage/VDRAM increase? Thanks
No, there is no specific ratio, but in general more VDIMM voltage = higher FSB, considering that the rest of your system is up to the task...

Lower your multi and crank the FSB as much as possible.

Am running at 215x11 as we speak running dual at 1.85v on the 8rda. Board is really finicky though. The xp2700 does not like much voltage as I remember and experience has brought the voltage down. Am about to take the 8rda out of the air cooled unit and set it up for the dual pelts and the xp2700.

I think it's memory. I also have a 2700+ with PC-2700 memory, and it also goes unstable (not blue screens, but Prime 95 detects errors) at even 170MHz FSB.

Corsair 3500 xms at 215 x 11.5. Board is ready to come off air. ram voltage is 1.84 on 1.9 setting so it is a little undervolted. I am going to vmod the voltage and see if it won't push 225 to 230 without going too extreme. Cpu is going on pelts.

Back