• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stuck on Overclocking my I7 4770k!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skades

Hello everyone.

I am new to overclocking but read and saw some guides before.
Added to this: my English is not the best :D

Now my Problem:

1. I just started to overclock my I7 4770k
and started to flash the newest BIOS from the MSI Website! Mainboard = (MSI Z87-G41 - MIL-STD-810G)

From now i got Easy to 4.3GHz

Clock - 100*43

CPU RATIO MODE - Dynamic Mode
(otherwise i couldn´t Activate EIST that is required to activate Intel Turbo Boost) so as i set this to FIXED the Clock was not applied in windows itself.)

Ring Ratio - 41
(was on automatic as i tried to raise the clock higher but made no difference for the 4300 clock in terms of Stability)

Adjusted Ring Frequency - 4100 MHZ

XMP - Enabled

VCCIN Voltage - 1.800
(Manual set)

CPU Core Voltage Mode - Adaptive

CPU Core Voltage - 1.220

CPU Ring Voltage Mode - Adaptive

CPU Ring Voltage - 1.150

All offset modes automatic

Hyperthreading deactivated

Under Prime95 my temps are arround 70-78°c (Cooled down with a Scythe Mugen 4)

The Problem now is:

No matter what i try my PC starts Freezing as i start Prime or just Restarts without a Bluescreen if i try to go just 100 MHZ Higher on base clock.
i just tried 4.4GHZ with Automatic Ring frequency AND the same Ring frequency and raised the core voltage up until 1.300 but it freezes or shuts my PC down, sometimes i get a bluescreen too, the temps at the moment of the freeze were on the highest core @ 81°C

any ideas what it could need to get me to 4.5GHZ

i just was there yesterday without Prime95 testing setting where

Auto Ring Frequency

1.280 core Voltage

nothing other set, but just played a bit warcraft then temps seem to be ok but i want to take it serious and make a stable clock with testing, just to be sure.

Thanks to everyone in advance!

I think you want to disable turbo boost anyway if I recall. It's been awhile since I overclocked a Haswell.

I think you're messing with too many parameters. Try disabling Trubo Boost and leaving everything else on Auto except CPU ratio and voltage. I would suggest putting the CPU voltage on manual until you achieve your maximum overclock so that you can see what vcore it takes to be stable. Then you can mess with vcore offsets so that less voltage is being applied when the system is idle.

Any particular reason you disabled HT? You are really hurting the overall performance potential if you do that. HT can give a 40% boost in some applications, particularly ones that are well multi-threaded.

The newer versions of Prime95 use AVX 2 instructions which make it hard to control temps and to be stable. AVX instructions are not found in common applications anyway. Does your bios have an AVX offset? If so, set it to -2 so that when executing AVX the cores run 200 mhz slower and don't work so hard. Or use an older version of Prime95 instead, like 27.7 before they included AVX instructions.

Last edited:
Thanks for your Reply.

The Older Version of Prime works Pretty well for me.
On my Clock posted above (4.3) i´ve got temps arround 60-70 with it.

Actually i am running

CPU Ratio Mode - Dynamic
(Like i said, if i choose the "Fixed Mode" it just Shows 3.5GHZ clock under Windows Properties) no idea how to fix it.

EIST - Disabled
Turbo boost - Disabled (they are linked anyway)

100*45 = 4.5GHZ Clock

Vcore Mode - Override
Vcore Voltage - 1.37 (1.35 Crashed after 10 minutes Prime test (1344 min / max) (1.36 stayed in a Prime Test but crashed in a valley Benchmark after it)

At the Moment it works arround 82 Degree and topping on the highest core 91°

Is this to high? under normal Gaming/working load it should not reach this Temps anyway.

The next question, if Turbo boost is disabled, the clock will run 4.5ghz alltime and if it´s enabled it will clock down in idle right?

can i enable it again if i´ve got a stable clock?

Last edited:
I believe that if your overclock of the cores exceeds the stock turbo boost ratio that turbo is disabled. It works that way on the newer Intel CPUs anyway. I think it's EIST that lowers clocks when not under load.

Your vcore is not too high but I would not add any more. Your temps won't stand it. I think you are pretty much reaching the overclock limit of that CPU - on that motherboard anyway. The motherboard is not a great one for overclocking.

What are you cooling the CPU with? How is the ventilation in your case?

Please create a Signature so that we have more information about your system and so that it will travel with every post you make. To do that, use "Settings" in the upper right corner of any forum page. Then look down the left column for "Edit Signature". Please refer to my Sig for guidance as to what we like to see included.

Last edited:
I believe that if your overclock of the cores exceeds the stock turbo boost ratio that turbo is disabled. It works that way on the newer Intel CPUs anyway. I think it's EIST that lowers clocks when not under load.

Your vcore is not too high but I would not add any more. Your temps won't stand it. I think you are pretty much reaching the overclock limit of that CPU - on that motherboard anyway. The motherboard is not a great one for overclocking.

What are you cooling the CPU with? How is the ventilation in your case?

Please create a Signature so that we have more information about your system and so that it will travel with every post you make. To do that, use "Settings" in the upper right corner of any forum page. Then look down the left column for "Edit Signature". Please refer to my Sig for guidance as to what we like to see included.

My Case is quiet open
i am cooling it with a sythe mugen 4.

Should i adjust the Cache Speed now too?

You can try adjusting the cache speed or adding some voltage to the cache/uncore or both. In overclocking, experimentation is in order.

Things I know about My haswell yours might act different but maybe not .

Mine likes voltage so heat can be an issue , I have 5x120mm of rads cooling mine at it still can get hot when pushing the volts .
VCCIN Voltage - 1.800 is fine IMO when im benching and trying for close to 5ghz I push this to 2.1

I use 4.5 as my Stock speeds ( lowest It really ever goes ) I run 1.3v and find it stable Cache @ 41.
My chip with out pushing CPU Ring Voltage doesn't like much over 41-43 . When benching I can push this to 45-46 bench depending (but this is no ware close to stable ).
I find you need close to the voltage you need on your CPU to run @ similar cache speeds . So for 40-42 I use 1.2v for everyday clocks @ 4.7ghz CPU and 41 cache speeds . So when pushing for benches 45x + I use 1.3-1.5v .
To get bench stable for 4.9 + I need 1.6v

I have been temped to delid but would not expect much if any from that .

Your chip I would make sure you have a good spread wih your TIM . I would be aiming for 45 multi with 1.25v-1.3v Cache @ 41 1.2v Ht on .
What are you using to test for stability ? Try aida64 it doesn't hammer as bad as P95 .

The IMC on my chip is able to run as high as my ram is able 1600mhz ram is stable @ 2000 (stock timmings and voltage) and can bench 2100ish .

Any questions hit me up .

I could not find any reference to that on the internet.

I don't see much of anything to do with AVX coding on the internet. If you have chrome browser test it your self and see. Even the OS uses AVX sometimes.:)
Chrome browser with 4.8GHz overclock AVX offset -400Mhz
Chrome AVX.jpg

Last edited:
i thank you all for your help

the 4.5 ghz clock worked fine yesterday but i worked arround 60-70 degrees after 4 hours of gaming and Spikes gone to the lower 80s.

Aida64 stresstest today arround 80°c.

would you run this clock as an allday clock?

are there any ways to tweak the temps down without lower the clock Speed?

Things in my mind are:

Lower Ring Voltage then 1.15

or

Lower Vccin (actually adjusted it to the Basic 1.8v)

Things i´ve read were:

For high OC´s set Vccin to 1.9 before raising the clock,
i am just asking myself if 1.37 core voltage is a high clock. maybe i could lower the vcore after adjusting the vccin?

Now i safed my 4.5ghz clock Setup and turned back to 4.4ghz actually doing a stresstest with Prime95.

Vcore 1.28 (maybe i can lower it still)

top temps 74 degree

running middle arround 65 degree.

Those are all safe temps and voltages for 24/7 operation in my opinion.

When stressing I like to stop @ 88-90 because then gaming is going to be much less .
Your Temps look fine to me these chips can run @ 95deg for years and not have a problem .

+1 you could run 95c for years without a problem. To get everything out of my overclock on my cooling, I have run 95c maximum 24 hours at 4.8GHz when stress testing. I would not worry about the voltage you have set now, just make sure it is stable.:)

Back