• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which PSU do you use for overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ian

Hey guys, which PSU do you use and how high can your chip go? Just want to see how PSU affects overclocking.

I'm getting a new PSU soon and am looking at SPI FSP350-60BT, not sure if it is good enough for my system. Is it good enough for a powerful chip, say, Barton 2.5GHz?

I'm using the Enermax EG351P-VE (330W) now but the voltage are flunctuating very much on all voltage rails (except from VDIMM and VDD), which isn't the case at default clock speed 1700+/1467MHz.

My system:

DLT3C JIUHB0308RPMW 1700+
Able to do 2.3GHz @ 1.7V
Epox 8RDA
512MB PC3200 Samsung
GeForce4 Ti4200 300/600

i'm using a CompUSA 500W, my XP1600 is topping out at 1.8Ghz. i'm not sure if it's the chpi that's at it's limit or if it's because of my motherboards lack of a 1/5th PCI divider (is has the divider but it doesn't work properly for me). either way i can only hit 12.5 x 144 stable.

i used to have a Antec 300W. the highest i could POST at with that PSU was 1743Mhz and i could get to windows and be stable at 1600Mhz.

i have a Abit NF7-S sitting on my desk just waiting for my twinx PC3200 to get here, then i'll find out if it's the chip or the mobo holding me back :D (i think it might be the chip though, most people get just over 1.8Ghz before the chip limits them).

No-brand 300W (175W on the 3.3+5v rails) and it works without a sweat at 2240 MHz, speed being limited by the processor and not PSU.

At high speeds and vcores, though, often it fails to boot and I have to try a couple of times. When it does boot, though, it's perfectly stable.

You should look towards a Sparkle or Antec.

One other thing, if you get a Barton, will you part with your XP1700 DLT3C proc ?

I've got an Enermax 350W. I should've got the whisper one though, this is definately the loudest thing in my box. It's not all that loud, but loud enough to be annoying sometimes.

I have a sparkle 350, i paid like 50 bucks for it....oh... quite a while ago and it certainly gets the job done.

I said the hell with it and bought myself a antec tru power 550 watt beast. Its running nicely. But my antec 300 watt power supply in another rig does the job nicely. :)

P4 mb has been using 12V to derive Vcore.

AMD mb used 5V to derive Vcore in the past.

I heard the AMD nforce2 mb are using or begin to use the 12V line to generate Vcore. Anyone has more specific regarding to what mb, ... to confirm this.

If this is true for AMD mb, we should pay more attention to the ampere specification of the 12 V line instead of just the 3.3 and 5 V.

Tbred B (1600-2600) Icore max = 30.3 - 41.4 A
Barton (2500-3000) Icore max = 41.4 - 45 A

Last edited:
hitechjb1 said:
P4 mb has been using 12V to derive Vcore.

AMD mb used 5V to derive Vcore in the past.

I heard the AMD nforce2 mb are using or begin to use the 12V line to generate Vcore. Anyone has more specific regarding to what mb, ... to confirm this.

If this is true for AMD mb, we should pay more attention to the ampere specification of the 12 V line instead of just the 3.3 and 5 V.

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13078

Have a look at this thread at AOAForums, they said the Epox boards (with 3-phase power) still use the 5V rail.

I have a 300W server PSU with 70A on the 3.3 and 5V rails :D

Maybe i should start using this PSU :D:

PSURatings.jpg

I have a TTGI 520watt PSU that I got for $80 this PSU has been rock stable, period. There seems no way to bring this PSU to it's knees. I am extremely happy with it, especially for the price.

If 12V line is used for AMD CPU, ...

Estimate current on 12V line for CPU Icore

Vcore = 1.8 V
Regulator efficiency = 80%

Current on 12V line for CPU = 1.25 * 1.8 * 45 / 12 = 8.4 A

E.g. Antec SL400 (400W)
12V - 18A max
5V - 38A max
3.3V - 28A max

im useing an antec trueblue 480
the shop was out of stock on the plain true power and i paid an extra $10 or so for the leds as i wanted 480 as i plan on keeping this psu a long time.

works wonderful,no voltage fluctuations from idle to load even with everything set to high voltages on the mobo and cpu.
i could stand a slight adjustments on the pots tho.the mobo reads the lines low so the mobo seems to be creating a power loss.ive checked the lines on the psu and everything is exactly on the nose correct.

deathstar13 said:

works wonderful,no voltage fluctuations from idle to load even with everything set to high voltages on the mobo and cpu.

I am looking for buying a PSU. You said no voltage fluctuations, ...
My current non-brand name fluctuates up to 50 - 100 mV (2nd decimal) in the different lines.

Does it really mean that you don't see any change in 3.3, 5, 12 V reading at all or up to which decimal points or mV, say using voltage monitor such as MBM, ...

Fortron/Sparkle 350W. I'm not done oc'ing, yet, but I'm currently at 2080.

Soy

Back