• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can't descide CPU Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

epauls

Dag, I have read and read and read and I still have not come to any conclusion.
I currently have a CoolMaster HHC-001 and while it drastically improved my temps now that I have been seriously overclocking my 2100+ my temps have risen again and make me concerned when the room temp fluctuates up to 75F. Plus it is quite noisey now.

I thought that maybe a SLK-800 with a Thermaltake A1214 80x80x25mm Thermo Controlled Variable Speed Case Fan mounted on it(is this even usable?). Or is there another fan that will make it quiter than current but still reap the benifitis of the SLK-800?

Then I saw the Zalman CNPS7000-Cu. But it appears that this is only for P4s. Is there a Zalman equivilent for the AMD XP chips?

Is there something else to consider(not water) that will be both quiter and cooler than the HHC-001?

Last edited:
Currently this is the best for an Athlon XP from Zalman but you might want to look elsewhere for extreme overclocking. Perhaps if you want to save some money you could get a Vantec Aeroflow they are very good coolers and only cost around $29.99. If you want the best possible air cooling then an SLK-900 is in order with any preferred fan you want depending on how silent you want the computer, a 92mm fan is the best bet here. So to sum up...

Silent running and mild OC'ing = Zalman 6000-Cu $29.99
Average noise and mild overclocking = Vantec Aeroflow $29.99
Variable noise and extreme overclocking = SLK-900 $49.99 HS and $ for fan.

agreed. the zalman isnt what you want for overclocking. the slk 800 and 900 are your best bet for overclocking. the 40something cfm panaflow wouldnt be to loud, and should give you ok results. the big delta fans are good (the 80+cfm 80mm one, and the 100+cfm 92mm one) but they will be very loud on full. the 80mm delta isnt to unbearable if you have something to control its speed. my friend has one with one of those vantec panel things. on the lowest setting, its fairly quiet, and still moves a pretty good amount of air. i have a 47cfm delta on my heatsink, and its not to loud. i can only hear it if my other case fans are on low. stay away from sunon, they move a lot of air, but are loud. i have three 50cfm 80mm's in the front of my case. they absolutely scream on high.

id say go for the slk800, unless you really want to dump the money for the 900. also, you have to take the mobo out to mount the 900, so you may or may not like that. hope that helps some.

Back