• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hi there...im plannin on gettin a new....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dj Matrix

Registered
hi there...i was think of gettin a whole new system...and i got my list down pretty nicely...but im only figuring out on wat amd chip is good and wat mobo is good....i have about 2 bills for da chip and mobo...but i dunno wat do pick....can you guys help meeh by telli meeh y i should get this chip and da speed and y this mobo and stuff like that....thx...

Abit NF7-S rev. 2.0
AMD XP 1700+ DLT3C 0310
Corsair XMS PC3500 RAM
SLK-800
Vantec Tornado

That the Best OC'ing setup you can buy right now, in my opinion.

For motherboards there is only 2 different brands I would go with.
Epox
8rda, 8rda+, 8rga, 8rga+ (8rda3+when it comes out)
Abit
nf7, nf7-s

I have also heard good things about the asus nforce boards but have also seen where they haven't preformed as good as the above.

For a cpu there are 3 right now that will be you best bet for overclocking.

tbred'b 1700 DLT3C, 2100 tbred'b, and barton 2500+

Abit NF7-S rev. 2.0
AMD XP 1700+ DLT3C 0310
Corsair XMS PC3500 RAM
SLK-800
Vantec Tornado

I'd have to agree with this one, if you can stand the noise. I just took a tornado out of my system because I couldn't sleep.

yeah ABIT NF7-S rev2.0 ..... if can't get that then get an EPOX 8RDA or 8RGA ......

XP1700+ DLT3C JIUHB0310
and if you can afford it a Barton 2500+ would be even better

Epox 8rda+
Athlon 2400+

Should be right around $200
and yes, you will need to buy a better heatsink.

hmmmm.....

can you tell meeh the different between the nforce chip and the kt chipset...i'm a newbie...cuz i have a kt133a and i was plannin on gettin a kt400 but now alot of you say 2 get da nforce chipset instead...so i just want to know wats so krazie about a nforce...and im not plannin on ocin my comp...juss leave it stock with a nice coolin system...thx...

The KT400 has a max. PCI divider of 1/5, meaning the PCI clock can only be 5 times less than the FSB... PCI bus of 39 or so tends to corrupt the HD, so with a KT400 usually the max you can go is 190 MHz or so.

The nforce2, on the other hand, has a PCI lock, in which the PCI speed is independent of the FSB speed, so you can keep the PCI at 33 while going as high as you can; you can easily hit 220 or higher with good RAM and an Abit NF7 rev2.

I would tend to agree with that setup, but i would go with a barton 2500, and ditch the tornado. They sound like a jet taking off...it's insane. Alsothe Abit NF7-S Revision 2 is the best board on the market period. The EPoX is close...but just isn't quite as good. The nForce is a better chipset because of the pci lock and a few other nice little qualities, but if you buy an nForce and are an overclocker...I would suggest going over to eXcaliberPC.com and buying an nForce2 BIOS survival kit. For some reason the BIOS chip tend to give out on these boards if you do something they dont like (like overclocking too high, or making stupid/uneducated decisions in the BIOS) and the kit is a spare BIOS chip so you can throw it in and be up and running again. :)

Back