• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xpmw or wpmw?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaltag

looking at a 1700 from excal and they have two different steppings, one xpmw and wpmw. Any ideas as to which will OC as well? both are 0310 and on the main processors page page the description of both procs says JIUHB but when you click on it and look at the model number it says AXDA. Am I missing something? This is the first time i've been shopping for a proc for the sole purpose of overclocking and am kinda new to stepping codes and whatnot. thanks for the help.

Your probly like the 100th person to ask that question. They are both basically identical. I would personally prob. get the X, but do a search on the forums, as there are many threads about this.

I have looked through a few mesasage boards about this exact thing. What i ended up finding is that they appear to be averaging about the same overclocks at the same voltages. Also its really just luck of the draw when you buy it online as some (WPMW and XPMW) will do 2400mhz at 1.5v and some will "only" do 2100mhz at 1.5v

apparently when you go to a store and can see the cpus you can look at the die colors to see what it appers to be when you reflect natural light off of it, silver is best, then blue, then purple, then red, and they will overclock almost depending on that, i haven't done this myself though

If you can look at the core, I would suggest diong that. You want a silver or bluish core, and not the purple and pink ones.

The silver and blueish cores overclock better.

Back