• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good heatsink to cut up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
it would be a pain to cut up...what kind of tools you planning on using, because to me it seems like that will be one difficult cutting job. those fins are flimsy and bent, making a strait cut difficult. not to mention thats a lot of copper to try to hack through.

I was thinking dremel with a fiberglass reinforced cutting disk...I was thinking the same about the fins, probably not gonna be so easy to cut even with the dremel. But they look pretty thin and the dremel could cut through it like butter (or maybe that's just wishful thinking).

I would ask around for a stock AMD heatsink, Aluminum cuts easy and is still good for conducting heat.

Yeah - I could get one of those pretty easily (free)...but think how much prettier my card would be with copper parts on it! And it would match my waterblock... :)

I'm not sure if I am joking or not... : /

Anyone ever cut thin copper fins like this? How'd it work out?

Mr. $T$ said:
I would ask around for a stock AMD heatsink, Aluminum cuts easy and is still good for conducting heat.

I'd try that too or just buy some. It maybe easy compared to other metals but it sure is still pretty hard. Had to mod my CoolerMaster heastink before to get on my motherboard because the socket lever was some what sticking up. It was such a pain to do that so I just used a dremel to cut the socket lever :D

Yodums

Aluminium is not easy to cut! I attacked an aluminium HS for hours to make my ram sinks, but from the OC I can get, it was definatly worth it!

If you want advice for cutting up heatsinks though, I have two words for you: Power Tools!

for the purpose of ramsinks, 7.99+shipping seems like an insanely high price to pay. go to a local electronics store they'll have lotsa 1 dollar heatsinks and they'll work just as well. i use 1 75 cent heatsink from allelectronics because i happened to be gettin sumtin from them. it is aluminum and it was not that hard to cut. aluminum dissipates heat really well too, though it is not the best at conducting it

Back