• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My heat sink fan modification

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the hammer

I've been overclocking my new XP1700+ 0310WPMW. I easily got the thing to run at 2450MHz. Past that and the heat started to get out of hand with voltage increases. At the time I was using a Thermalright SLK800 with a Thermaltake Smart Fan2 at full speed.
I decided to try a ducting mod to eliminate the center dead spot by taking a broken 80 mm fan and cutting the fan out out of the center and placing it between the SLK800 & the Smart Fan2. Unfortunately the temperature INCREASED a degree or two.
Next I ditched the duct and I took a spare Smart Fan2 I had laying around and connected it to my other Smart Fan2. So now I have two Smart Fan2's running in series driving air into my SLK800. My temp only decreased a dismal degree from just a single fan.
Next I decided to buy a 80mm Vantec Tornado online to give it a try. When I was on the BestByte.net website to buy it, I noticed a thing on the first page up that was on sale. It was a 80mm to 60 mm adapter duct that allows you run an 80mm fan on a heatsink that only takes 60mm fans. That is when the cartoon light bulb lit over my head. I noticed my 80mm fans overhung two sides of my SLK800 with a good gap at about 15mm or so each side. I concluded that if i could make this gap go away, the full amount of air will be forced through the SLK800.
Well let me tell you after getting the Tornado and the adapter in, it was hard to get this 38mm thick fan and thick adapter mounted. After much manipulation and modification, i got the fan and adapter mounted tight. Results....another 6 degree celsius decrease. Considering that most test results i have seen, there is usually not more than a 2 degree difference between a TT SF2 & a tornado. So when I got 6 degrees, I'm assuming alot of the help is from the 80-60 adapter forcing air into the center of the SLK800 with minimal air loss from the now tiny overhang on the two sides.
I got the 80-60mm adapter from bestbyte.net for only $2.50 and the Vantec tornado for $11 plus shipping. Pretty cheap investment IMO for a 6 degree temp loss. I hope this info helps somebody trying to reduce CPU temp.

Hammer

Last edited:
good idea i did somethign similar with my 60-80mm but with a different HS... dont knwo if it helped temps though... (i reappl;ied Thermal paste and lapped it so temps went dow for sure)

Good job!:clap: I have been planning a project like that after hearing in a couple of places that a shroud worked better when the sides funneled in (or were simply blocked) to force the air onto the SLK.

Gave it a try with a 80-60 adapter I pulled off an old pal 35, it raised temps with my 47cfm panaflo and SLK-800. :( I used cable ties to hold it on. Apparently the constriction of the adapter hurt the airflow more than the focussing effect helped it. YMMV.

Oh well, when I get a chance I'll try it with a gutted fan and the funnel. The guy who built that beautiful plexi duct says that having the empty shell in the stack really helps the adapter to work better.

Joe_Atlanta said:
Gave it a try with a 80-60 adapter I pulled off an old pal 35, it raised temps with my 47cfm panaflo and SLK-800. :( I used cable ties to hold it on. Apparently the constriction of the adapter hurt the airflow more than the focussing effect helped it. YMMV.

Oh well, when I get a chance I'll try it with a gutted fan and the funnel. The guy who built that beautiful plexi duct says that having the empty shell in the stack really helps the adapter to work better.

Try it with a really powerful fan. My 80mm Vantec tornado moves like 87cfm I believe. What ever loss of flow from backpressure with this adapter is surely counteracted by the shear volume of air this fan moves. The TT smart fan2 has a 75.7cfm rating, you could try it too and save a little noise.

hammer

Back