• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron and crappy FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SWE_HELIX

Registered
Why is the Opteron using the pathetic 166MHz FSB? It should atleast use 200MHz FSB.. A few months ago i heard that it was going to have 400MHz FSB and a multipiler of 4 or something..

Well 166MHz FSB is a pretty old thing now.. Why not use better things and improve benchmarking points even more..

OPTERON HAS NO FSB! the FSB is traditionally what connects the northbridge to the CPU as their is no northbridge thre is no FSB. The whole idea is to have the memmory controller running at full speed to reduce latency hence no multiplyers. It does have the hypertransport bus to connect to PCI bus, AGP e.t.c. which is 6.4GBps

its not just raw bandwidth that matters you know. the entire amd range of cpus simple dont work like that. p4's love all the memory bandwidth they can get. opterons, however, rely on the amount of work they do per cycle. thats why a 1.8ghz opteron is faster than a 3.06ghz p4.

to be honest, i couldn't give a rats *** about memory bandwidth. i'll i care about is overall performance, and thats where the opterons excell

Ok, thanks for the info.. But it feels kind of stupid to use my old 333MHz DDRram with a completley new Opteron system..

Well, will it be possible to overclock? Isnt everything allready in the core of the opteron?

First of all its not 166MHz but 200, second of all its dual channel 200MHz, which translates into 400 double pumped Mhz, thus 800FSB, not 333. And from what I've seen it still has sort of multies, and you still can select speed in the BIOS so if the chips will be unlocked I don't think that OCing will be a problem, it might just get much less flexible than it was, when we actually had both FSB and multiplier

If you look at the Operton boards, there is no NB and I guess there is no FSB, since now the cpu can take directly to the memory, cutting out the NB middleman.

Yea I know there's no concrete FSB, but there's still the memory B/W limit which is either 6.4 or 5.4GB/s which is the equivalent to double channel 400DDR or 333DDR not sure which one.
When I come to think of it, I think the guy in the post saying that the 166MHz FSB is lame was right, but its actually a 667FSB.
And the CPU has speed increments of 100 MHz each step selectable from the BIOS

Ok, thanks The Coolest.. But this review says that the Opteron uses 333MHz memory.. http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=55000252

But it will probably get faster soon :)

And i really hope that it is real Dual Channel and not nForce2 style dual channel wich only makes my computer harder to overclock.. I need 2,8V to keep my 1gig 333MHz memory at 400 when I am using dual but only 2,6V in single mode...

There is no FSB. There is a hypertransport link that replaces it that transfers 6.4GB/S . Single CPU configs will have support for dual channel ddr400 while dual CPU Athlon 64's will have to share it as the hypertranport has to communicate with the other cpu , components, and the memory while on single cpu configs it only does the memory and components

xlgimmewarlx said:
Who would be dumb enough to even buy a Opteron, considering that there new, and buggy.
:eek:
Shhhhh, we want someone to buy one so we can have them test it and come back with the results.

Lynx said:
OPTERON HAS NO FSB! the FSB is traditionally what connects the northbridge to the CPU as their is no northbridge thre is no FSB. The whole idea is to have the memmory controller running at full speed to reduce latency hence no multiplyers. It does have the hypertransport bus to connect to PCI bus, AGP e.t.c. which is 6.4GBps
lynx is right, I have been watching the AMD Opteron for a while waiting for it to be released, and it dosn't really have a front side bus. AMD describes it as the FSB being the same speed as the processor itself.

Back