• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead on Arrival CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hardcorecomp

Hey All,

I am currently working on putting together a killer rig. I just got the CPU( Athlon XP 1700+ JIUHB) from Excaliberpc.com. On one of my spare motherboards, ECS K7S5A with the latest Bios, I decided to test out the CPU to make sure it will work at all.
The board was running with a XP 1800+ prior to testing out the new CPU.

The first time I put the CPU in the computer would power up for like 5 secs or so and when the monitor was about to kick in it would just power off. After fiddling with the wires for the motherboard it still did the same thing. There was no sound from the speaker stating a problem. I then reseated the heatsink, its a crappy thermaltake volcano6, and I was able to get the CPU to POST and actually bring up the screen listing all HDDs etc. It then proceeded to try to find the HDD that was not connected, so I restarted and connected the HDD. After the restart the POST stopped before listing the HDDs and it just sat there, not moving or anything.

I tried to restart again and the screen would come up, but it would do nothing at the HDDs list section, it would just sit there loaded.

I thought it might be the old BIOS settings, so I reset the CMOS jumper to clear all settings. I restarted again and this time it would load up the HDDs and actually move to the point where the CMOS settings were incorrect. Now the F1 key to load CMOS setup would not open the setup.

Another restart and it stopped at the same point, still not letting me hit F1 to get into the BIOS. This time I tried a new keyboard and it would not load the BIOS still.

Getting frustrated with this chip I switched back to the old one and cleared the CMOS to be safe. The old chipped loaded up fine and I was able to get into CMOS setup with F1 and basically load up normally.

Is it possible the chip is overheating or just bad?

The heatsink did not feel that warm, even after I let the chip run for 5mins or so. It freezes up even after 10secs of being powered on, so I doubt it is overheating with the heatsink postioned well on it.

Hey man if I were you I would try updating the bios, was the previous processor a palomino??, do you know for sure that you mobo supports tbreds.

IN SHORT I WOULD SAY YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOUR BIOS, or your mobo just don't support tbreds

Or, its just dead lol, hope it helps!

I agree w/ mamer, if the chip was doa, you wouldn't get anything at all.

Make sure you flash to a bios that supports the tbred processor or your system won't work properly.

Back