• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 98 won't finish installing on 560MB drive...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

I'm just wondering if you guys think it's the drive. It installs the files and stores things just fine, but once it's finishes installing and runs Windows for the second time, it shows a BSOD about not being able to read/write to the drive. I don't understand how it could install everything then not read/write to the drive. It passes Scandisk just fine (tested from 98, ME, and XP just to make sure). Also, I was able to install Windows ME without any problems, except that there was absolutely no more space for anything else. 98 says it will fit with only like 200MB of space used, but it won't run. The drive is about 10 years old though, maybe it's too old for Windows :(

1/ Get a bootdisk and check how big the drive is in the DOS prompt, check free space also. Run Scandisk from DOS if you can as well.

2/ Open the comp and check all the cables are plugged in properly.

3/ Failing this, try to find the name of the manufacturer who made it and download a diagnostig utility and that should extensively check the drive.

4/ Whip the drive out, put it into a different rig as a slave if you can't do any of this.

Excelsior said:
5\ set fire the HDD and throw it out of the window :p

Hey maybe I'll do that :D
I've tried most of the things Cjwinnit suggested. Samsung doesn't even recognize its serial number anymore so I can't get their diagnostic utility. It's all right though, I think I'll wait for one of those 1 gig harddrives off the classifieds.

Thanks for the help
Tipycol

Last edited:
Hehe...wanna trade with me ;) Like I said earlier, 98 said it would install with about 200MB but I guess the drive is too old. Hopefully I can get a good deal for a 1 or maybe even 2 gig drive. Then I might even try to install XP on it :D

Last edited:
oops said:
i remember a full win98SE installation require 600MB space.

Maybe the full one, but I know my mothers PC has Win98, with a 1 gig HDD, and has atleast 200 meg space. With all the junk that has been put on the rig, and Office and the works i guess the Win98 install cannot be more than 300 meg for that rig.

Minimum installs of win98 take no more than 250meg. I just did one so it's true. ;)

Strange that you would say a 560 drive. most drives around that size were 540 if remember correctly. are you sure that you are not talking a detection issue? perhaps the wrong disk geo?

Nope, it's a 560MB. Its model number is SHD-30560A and under it in parentheses is 560MB. The POST recognizes it as such, though when formated I only get about 500MB. I don't understand why I could install on it before and can still put info on it, but when 98 loads the second time after fully installing, I get a cannot read/write error.

For $150.98?! :eek:

But they do say 540MB for capacity, and mine does say in parentheses 560MB. But geez, $150 for it? I wonder if I could sell them mine for just a quater of that. O

Back