• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hiding wires...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wiseass

Well I saw this on another thread, not from the original forum since you need to subscribe but someone re-posted it..All he did was turn his harddrives around. Makes sense to me, no wires to see!

Heres the pics:

Before

After

Here's the snippet from his post:

Right, you,ve been modding like mad. You,ve got your window, cathodes and everything else finished, but you can STILL see those ugly drive cables - even if you got round ones.

WHAT DO YOU DO????

simple - hide 'em by turning the drives round. All those ugly cables dissapear. You can do this in most cases, but these chieftec/antec cases are a modders delight - tons of room.

This is a before shot, with ide & power cables sticking out the back that can be seen through the window.

disconnect the drives, turn 'em round and offer 'em up to the mounting rails/cage, remember they won't go in as far coz you need to leave room for the cables at the FRONT of the mounts. Check that the mounting holes will line up and be prepared to drill/file if they don't (and they won't). In mine it was a close thing and all I had to do was remove the material between 2 holes in the mounting cage (arrowed)

Re-mount the drives with the cables facing to the FRONT of the case. You may have to route and connect your cables first, you may not, it all depends on your case. Round IDE cables make bending to fit in awkward places easier, if power cables are not long enough, you'll have to buy/make extenders. If it all goes right, you should end up with something like this:

No cables to be seen, but the drives stick a little further out of the bay.

If you have to do any drilling/filing remember to STRIP THE POOTER DOWN FIRST!!! and do it away from the thing, all it takes is one tiny piece of metal to short and blow the whole thing. IF YOU'RE NOT PREPARED TO PAY FOR IT WHEN YOU BUST IT - YOU SHOULDN'T BE PLAYING WITH IT!!!!!!

here's the mod he did to the drive cage:

http://www.duggyruss.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/drives/cage.jpg

completed mod:

http://www.duggyruss.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/drives/after.jpg

That's actually a cool mod, I've never even thought about doing that. Hmmm...to bad my hdd round cables won't run that long. They are only 6" long. :(

Good Idea, I just tried to hide mine when I got home from school and its not good enough for me. I wanna try this but my power cables are too short

Albaholic said:
Good Idea, I just tried to hide mine when I got home from school and its not good enough for me. I wanna try this but my power cables are too short

yeah this seems to be the general consensus. I'm going to see if I can get some molex extenders (do they even make something like that?) or modify them a bit longer.

Why didn't I think of that? He, anyone know if it is possible to mount the drives like this || instead of like normal =

I'm at work and can't exactly test the theory out

Sure, you can mount the drives in any direction. A lot of old Compaq mini-towers have the drives mounted laying on their side.

And a very cool idea.

BHD

son of a....

why cant i think of these things?! very awesome idea, I plan on doing it this weekend :)

Extend your power cables yourself! All you need is HS tubing and a dead powersupply.

I have a funny situation that is the opposite of those people with too little cable. I had a big full tower, and therefore went out and bought two 36 inch ide cables, and now have nowhere to put them (they are rounded, and i switched to a mid tower cause i over-modded the other one and the mobo tray tore off :( )

I have been doing this for some time, I just HATE having to extend the power cables though. I get lazy and just fold and tuck. Need premodded PSU with more connectors and longer ones at that.

im gonna attempt this mod tomorrow, only problem is ill have to ditch the hdd coolers but damn, they looked so cool :)

ktn said:
im gonna attempt this mod tomorrow, only problem is ill have to ditch the hdd coolers but damn, they looked so cool :)

Why don't you reroute the hard drive cooler power adapters too ?

What kind of hard drive coolers are you using ?

palee72 said:
Why didn't I think of that? He, anyone know if it is possible to mount the drives like this || instead of like normal =

I'm at work and can't exactly test the theory out

a dell i have has a proprietary hardrive mouonting device at the bottom front of the case that mounts the harddrive like that. i dont see a prpoblem with it. lots of oddly shaped cases mount hardrdives sideways.. like the midtower case at pcpowercooling, they have a hanging gondola that is sideways. should be perfctly fine

duh....turn the drives around....

FUGGER!

heh, I just finished my wire management cuz I just upgraded my mobo.....

oh well. I still like my wire loom.

oh yea.....

ZIP TIES ARE A GODSEND!!!!!!!!!

zip ties have so many uses it's not funny. I replaced all of my twist ties, which were ugly yellow. now I have clear zip ties everywhere. it looks niiiiice......

G@ZZ@ said:
Would be interesting to see if anyone has tried this on this forum and post some pics :D

old:
case.jpg

new:
case3.JPG

Back