• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Curious about P4 2.4 voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepino Cantador

Registered
What should the voltage be for a B0 stepping P4 2.4g?

It's set at default in the bios. I thought it was supposed to be 1.5, but CpuZ says it's 1.440. Is that correct, or do I need to go into my bios and change it to 1.5 manually?

It's set at default in the bios. I thought it was supposed to be 1.5, but CpuZ says it's 1.440. Is that correct, or do I need to go into my bios and change it to 1.5 manually? [/B][/QUOTE]

It is supposed to be 1.5. It sounds like your board is undervolting the CPU. If stability is a problem, then I'd raise it a bit, but if it's stable, then don't bother.

Well, just to test it, I had to set the bios all the way to 1.550 to get MBM / CpuZ to recognize it at 1.5v. Interesting. Setting it to 1.5 manually left it at 1.440, so I dunno what is up with the board. I've go a 460w Antec truepower supply, so I wouldn't think it was that :\ Who knows.

What's the max safe voltage for a P4? I was thinking about jacking it up higher, just to see what it actually is at higher voltages.

Pepino Cantador said:
Well, just to test it, I had to set the bios all the way to 1.550 to get MBM / CpuZ to recognize it at 1.5v. Interesting. Setting it to 1.5 manually left it at 1.440, so I dunno what is up with the board. I've go a 460w Antec truepower supply, so I wouldn't think it was that :\ Who knows.

What's the max safe voltage for a P4? I was thinking about jacking it up higher, just to see what it actually is at higher voltages.

Yeah, a lot of boards undervolt. It's nothing new. If it were undervolting by more I'd be concerned, but that's not too bad. I think the maximum safe voltage for a Northwood is around 1.725, but everyone has a different opinion.

jazztrumpet216 said:

Yeah, a lot of boards undervolt. It's nothing new. If it were undervolting by more I'd be concerned, but that's not too bad. I think the maximum safe voltage for a Northwood is around 1.725, but everyone has a different opinion.

i agree, i haven't had anything but undervolters so far. the only overvolter i've heard about was jd's asus mobo if my memory serves me right. give your cpu the gas!:cool: 1.725 is borderline ok but check your temps under load especially and keep an eye on what the real volts are. run prime95 to determine whether you're truly stable and throttle back if you're not. no need to tempt a fate and end up being the next case of SNDS for an extra mhz or two.

Back