• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Performs "physicle memory dump" and restarts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

modenaf1

Someone at school asked me a computer question. He says he's running win 2k and whenever he's playin a game or leaves it runnin that it says "performing physicle memory dump," lists a bunch of stuff, and then restarts or shuts down. does anyone here know what might be the cause?

Probably a RAM or PSU problem. I'd try running memtest on to check the RAM out.

Basically it's attempting a memory dump before restarting becuase it encountered an error.

modenaf1 said:
Someone at school asked me a computer question. He says he's running win 2k and whenever he's playin a game or leaves it runnin that it says "performing physicle memory dump," lists a bunch of stuff, and then restarts or shuts down. does anyone here know what might be the cause?

Thats what they call a blue screen of death. Probably due to flaky hardware or drivers.

he never said he got a BSOD he just says hes playing diablo and itsays peforming mem dump. On monday ill have to ask him if he did get a blue screen.

modenaf1 said:
he never said he got a BSOD he just says hes playing diablo and itsays peforming mem dump. On monday ill have to ask him if he did get a blue screen.

When it says that, it's probably a BSOD. BSOD's in 2k are diffrent looking than in Win9x. They look more....uhhh...professional. Heheh. :)

Actually i think that happened to me with roxio cdcreator.the cddrivewouldnt work and it would not shut down. kept restarting. I hadtoreformat the whole HDD to get rid of it.

Back