• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair memory XMP problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MiraiKuma

Not trying to overclock my ram, just trying to get advertised speeds. Setup is below

Ram is:
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...RAM-1600MHz-C9-Memory-Kit/p/CMY16GX3M2A1600C9
Motherboard:
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H-CF
Processor:
i7 4770k

The motherboard is rated for this ram XMP speed and so is the processor.

I have 4 8GB sticks. When they are all in the motherboard, everything is stable if I don't use the XMP profile. If I enable the XMP profile, blue screens galore. Below I will post what I have done to test this, but my main question is, is it safe to up the voltage to 1.55 volts instead of 1.5?

4 sticks will boot with XMP but will crash no matter what I do when I start playing a game or having too many tabs in chrome open.
I opened up CPU-Z and copied the timings for the XMP profile and input them manually instead of enabling the profile. Still blue screens.
If I up voltage to 1.55 it seems stable but I don't want to put it under prime because I hear overvolting ram can cause dead ram. I turned this off after about 30 min of playing a simple 3d game just to see if it was semi stable. I didn't want to do anything to obnoxious to kill my ram.
Putting in just 2 sticks the XMP profile works perfectly. No blue screens.

After googling it till I couldn't google anymore, someone said up the voltage by .05 and see if that helps, but only one person on some random website. (I don't trust them) Many people on different forms are reporting that XMP profiles are only working when they have 2 sticks in. When they have 4 sticks in, they get blue screens. I don't mind just having 16GB of ram, but would like to use what I already have the 32 (I can use it for doing some 3d rendering and video editing).

So, what do you suggest I do? Stick with 16gb of ram? Over volt? Or just use the 32GB of ram with no XMP profile?

Thank you for any and all help.

1.55V is plenty safe, yes.

The problem is the amount of RAM likely needs a boost in System Agent and IO voltages. Try raising them both .1V.

Thank you for the response! Just to clarify so I don't do something stupid

Should I volt to dram 1.55 and increase system agent and IO voltages?

Or should I just do one or the other?

Personally I'd try them each one at a time and see what makes a difference or not. Then only apply what's needed.

BTW I'd have to assume 16GB DDR3 modules are dual rank, and having two of those per channel is a serious load to the memory controller. This may contribute to the observed problems.

Thank you for the response! Just to clarify so I don't do something stupid

Should I volt to dram 1.55 and increase system agent and IO voltages?

Or should I just do one or the other?
The proper method is what mack has described. Do one at a time and see if that stabilizes things. I would start with System Agent voltage alone and leave everything else.

Personally I'd try them each one at a time and see what makes a difference or not. Then only apply what's needed.

BTW I'd have to assume 16GB DDR3 modules are dual rank, and having two of those per channel is a serious load to the memory controller. This may contribute to the observed problems.

He said he has 4x 8GB modules, not 16GB modules. :)

1.55V is plenty safe, yes.

The problem is the amount of RAM likely needs a boost in System Agent and IO voltages. Try raising them both .1V.

Good advice. I know personally my Z77 Extreme4 undervolts my RAM slightly. Just enough to cause post issues with my Ripjaws 1600's in dual channel. If I boot with one stick and up the voltage too 1.6v then install the rest it runs in XMP @ 1866 just fine.

Back