• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing XP Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EmTSea19

Do you have to give your real name when you register Windows XP? I ask because I am having a slight problem and I am thinking of reformatting. The name at the top of my start menu is the handle I want to use. However, I just noticed in doing a virus scan that I have some files that are using my real first initital and last name in it. The one I registered with. Like when I click on "My Documents", my name appears in the addy in the adress menu. I want to get my name off of it, so no one can see in case they hack me.

I went to user accounts, the one I am using says the right handle, so I don't know why "My Documents" and a couple other places are showing my real name.

Will reformatting fix this? Thanks.

Your registration info is probably stored in the registry somewhere.

If you are concerned of being hacked, I would take necessary security precautions, disable Netbios, don't run old versoins of IIS, etc.

If you feel insecure about your real name appearing in files, and modifying the registry and deleting the files if possible doesn't fix the problem, a reformat should solve the problem.

I believe registration is optional too...

Okay, I reformatted and that took care of the problem. What a pain. I did not register, but I have to within 30 Days. Hopefully when I do, I won't encounter the problem again. I'll ask Microsoft, because I have to call to register. Microsoft won't accept my key anymore, what a pain. Not good for us honest customers who pay for each copy, but like to reformat sometimes.

I was under the impression that the Activation part was required for all installations, but registration is completely optional.

Activation is the thing where you call up MS or activate it over the internet before you can use your OS. It has a grace period of 30 days or so, giving you time to complete the activation. When you have major hardware changes in your system, you'll have to reactivate your copy of XP, but MS has plenty of call center people 24/7, so phone activation shouldn't be a problem.

Back