• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok, this is a pretty out there request I guess lol

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kono Hito

Registered
My speakers do not come with a place to plug in headphones, now I was thinking there might be a way to run something from my sound card to a switch and plug in (to plug my headphones into) next to my speakers and I could just hit the switch everytime I want to go from headphone to speakers and vice versa.

Anyone understand what Im saying?

Im looking for a kinda of cheap yet fun way to make this work and look nice.

Any ideas if this is possible and what I need to get and do?

Thanks.

EDIT: Do you think I should maybe post this on the soundcard board?

- KH

Yea this should have been there or in general hardware, but anyway...

Radio shack sells what youre looking for. I cant remember the part number off hand, but its call a high isolation A/B switch. It lets you send the signal to A, B, or both at the same time. It'll cost you less than $10 (I'm pretty sure its $6.99 but it might be $9.99).

Radio Shack has it for sure it toggles between your speakers and your headset at the push of a button. They have 2 kinds one is a plantronics one which looks better then there is a radioshack one. The radioshack one I think was 14.99. It also has a microphone attachment.

26-204.jpg

HERE

However, if you are planning on building your own which I think you were originally planning on doin then it shouldnt be too hard but you have to ask yourself is it worth it? i think for the prive and convenience buying the product from Radio Shack is a much better solution.

BTW this is the correct forum if your planning on building one. Other then that you might want to try gen hardware.

Thanks for the help guys, I will prolly buy one or I might still make one, new to the whole modding game and since I don't have a lot of money I love to do what i can :)

- KH

What I did was bought one of those three way splitters in radio shack that let me plug in 3 devices into the speaker port of the sound card. One I use for speakers, one for headphones, and the third is for my sound activated cold cathode.

i got an idea...

ok wow i can't even explain it to myself

its kinda exsaped me now... ill tell ya if i remember

trdsw20 said:
Radio Shack has it for sure it toggles between your speakers and your headset at the push of a button. They have 2 kinds one is a plantronics one which looks better then there is a radioshack one. The radioshack one I think was 14.99. It also has a microphone attachment.

I have one of the Radio Shack branded switches hooked up at home to my computer. It was a life saver. I put it beside my keyboard, so I can switch from headphones to speakers easily. My headphone cord doesn't get tangled up in other cords on the way to my sound card anymore. I bought it at a surplus store, so I paid less for it, but I would have bought it at full price for the convenience.

Sometimes, it's just easier to have someone else do the work for you.

Ken

you would think it was that easy but ive tried that before. I think in the scenario you are describing. One of the speakers would still work while the headset was in use and vice versa.

this is for mono channel.. he said he wanted somehting cheap... if you want stereo itll just take another switch... either that or out could put the switch on the ground wire instead of the positive lead.. a ground is a ground and you wouldnt have to worry about stereo or mono then

Back