• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Makeshift cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celeron_Phreak

Hey all. Here's my story:

I swapped fans with my GeForce 256 and my CPU's cooler yesterday. That would be, swapping a 4,500 RPM fan with a 7000 RPM fan. Well, I figured the 4,500 would be fine for 24 hours while I was at my friends b-day party. Well, when I came home, my computer was beeping at me. So I read the motherboard monitoring software and it saw my video card's fan running at 1,200 RPM!!!! I quickly shut the computer down and poped the side of the case off to feel how warm the video heatsink was. And it was BURNING! So let it sit while I went out again. Came home, and put some make-shift cooler along side the video's gigantic heatsink. So until I can find a nice 7000 RPM fan or a new cooler for my CPU, I'm stuck with this thing. BTW, I think that the beeping was my BIOS alarm for the AGP temp.

So, lastnight, I made myself a littke cooler that I would like to use on the video. Thing is, it's too big :(. Anyway, I'll keep it around just incase I ever need something like it :). It's a 60x60x25mm fan, epoxied to a 50x50x25mm heatsink. I would drill screws in the heatsink around the bottom so my current screws could hold the cooler to the video card chipset.

My question:

Will the epoxy last through the heat, or will it get too soft and let the fan fall? The fan hangs from the video card, so if it falls, it falls on the sound card. This little cooler I made sits about one centimeter away from the sound card, which is why I really don't want to use it. Will I get any airfow if I install it, having it so close to the sound card?

Thanks,
C.P.

The thermal epoxy would last...but you would have no air flow with it sitting that close to the SC...if you can move the SC down one or two PCI slots that would definetly help the air flow issue you will have...

WhiteHawk...I have a fan epoxied to the heatsink, not the cooler to the card ;).

glock19owner... that's exactly what I thought. Too bad I can't move any of my cards down. They're all as low as they go :).

My video card cooler takes up 2 pci slots....and i used zip ties, not epoxy, you get much more pressure that way ;)

But with the heatsink I'm using, there's no way to attach the fan with zip ties. So that's a no go :-\. I'll try and take pix soon if I can find the digicam.

Back