• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2ghz too much to ask of a tbred A?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arkan

i bought a tbred A 2000+ cpu over the weekend. im wondering if it would be worth it to mod the voltage brigdes so that i could run the cpu at 1.85 vcore and possibly get 2ghz out of it.

this is my first attempt at overclocking a tbred a and im wondering if my goal is realistic. right now with a max vcore of 1.7
im able to run stabily at a max speed of 1879 with no signs of instability when folding or running prime95. the cpu will boot at 1950 and higher but slowly starts erroring in windows.
would the additional vcore in going from 1.70 to 1.85 make it likely id hit 2ghz?

btw temps @1879 while folding never got above 51 celcius (ambient temp of 40 degrees didnt help temps at all lol) with a normal ambient temp of around 33 degrees it runs around 43 degrees while under full load.

I would say it would be possible, but with insane amount of voltage. It wouldnt be worth it for everyday use. Your temps would be really high.

If you have a good cooling solution, yeah for sure. Gonna need to up that Vcore though a good deal.

:EDIT: Lol, during the summer I open my Windows to let my room get cooler. Not that my CPU runs too hot, I just like to keep it under 45 degrees.

You might make 2 GHz, but I don't think you will be able to run 24/7 at that speed. When you increase the voltage to 1.85 volts, your CPU temp is going to increase also. You might be able to run at that speed with better cooling.

ive got a bit of cooling headroom left. im using a thermaltake volcano 7+ with a tornado 80mm fan in place of the stock 70mm one. ive been running the fan at about 1/2 full speed bc this thing is a beast at full throttle. i guess ill just have to find out by trying it.

Back