• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Networking and MP games don'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diggingforgold

Networking and MP games don't like eachother

I'm having problems playing MP games with AOE2C (age of empires II: the conquerors).

I started googling to find some answers, and I found this:

One thing that may not allow you to connect and play a multiplayer game is the existence of an in-home network. Dan Simpson and I ran into that once, and it was extremely annoying. If you have a network, disable it prior to attempting to join a multiplayer game.

Well, that isn't so easy, since I rely on my network connection for broadband access.

I have my cable modem on a 4 way router. The only way for me to not be on a network is to hook the cable modem directly up to my computer. Are there any alternatives to this problem that one of you might suggest?

EDIT: Ok, that was stupid. My browser decided to submit the post while I was typing the subject line. I probably hit the enter key on accident. Oh well...

Do you have port forwarding/triggering? You can find out what ports your game uses and set your router to keep those ports open when you run your game.

If you mostly play games on one machine it can be easier to go into the config for the router and set that machine as DMZ. This will allow it access to all ports just as if the cable were plugged directly into that machine.

Some older games will still have a problem though of only being able to see the internal network address.

Back