• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI or Asus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marl65

Thanks to all who answered my questions in last posting. Here's what I have decided to go with.

Case
Chieftec Server Chasis

Cooler
Vantec Aeroflow

RAM
Samsung 512MB PC3200

Video Card
128MB DDR Sappire Radeon 8500LE

Chip
AMD Athlon XP 1700+ T-Bred from excaliberpc

Here's my final question, I can't decide which mb to use. I am leaning towards a MSI KT4VL but a coworker of mine recomended a Asus board. I do not know of a decent Asus board to consider though. I am not planning on doing a lot of overclocking. Any recomendations will be helpful and appreciated.

Marl :cool:

Last edited:
Well, if your planning to overclock you should consider the Abit NF7 series boards. They are super adjustable and tuneable.

Thanks for the help. I did end up deciding to go with the Abit NF7 v2.0. Even though it put me slightly over budget. :)

Now I get to play the fun waiting game with Fedx and UPS. =) Hopefully they won't destroy anything before I get it.

shogan191 said:
Are you sure you want to try the Samsung for your memory?

I don't see why not. Samsung came highly recomended on another posting I had. Are there issues with it or do you just prefer another brand? Or is there something I am completely missing here? Also you may not know this but I am not planning on doing a lot of overclocking with this 'puter. So it shouldn't really matter. hmmmm....................

Marl :D

if your not planning on hard core high fsb ocing then the sammy will do just fine.

but i think people are thinking since your getting the abit most do that want a really high fsb which that mobo does so well at.

deathstar13 said:
if your not planning on hard core high fsb ocing then the sammy will do just fine.

but i think people are thinking since your getting the abit most do that want a really high fsb which that mobo does so well at.

I am planning on upping the fsb a slightly at first, but later as money allows I will improve upon it more. At least this is the goal for now. :D

Marl :cool:

I just had a lot of problems with Samsung 2700 using 2 sticks for the dual channel. Not sure how the 3200 is doing. I'm getting ready to upgrade my memory and am getting the Corsair xms 3200LLpt. :)

My Samsung PC2700 is doing just fine at 200 with 5-2-2-2... I wouldn't say it's bad. Heck, it's not even maxed out.

Yes, but we are talking in relation to Asus Nforce chipset with dual channel memory. I could run 1 stick fine but not two. Samsung even suggested I try different memory. That's how I ended up with Nanya. That is what they suggested. It has worked great btw. Now I want to move up to 3200 or 3500. Going with Corsair.

Back