• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Broadband Router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pyros

Does anyone know where I can find a Router with printer sharing capabilities that uses usb for the printer port? I have a Officejet 6110 and it is usb only and I need it to be shared across the network.

If not, does anyone know a solution to being able to share this printer without it being dedicated to one pc?( windows printer sharing for example is what I dont want to use) Thanks for any help you can give.

That's a nice little one, but you need the female USB end. Most printers have a unique connector which runs to a USB male connector...I wonder if HP has an RJ-45 adapter for your OfficeJet...They'd probably charge you up the a**, though

Last edited:
nerdlogic said:
That's a nice little one, but you need the female USB end. Most printers have a unique connector which runs to a USB male connector...I wonder if HP has an RJ-45 adapter for your OfficeJet...They'd probably charge you up the a**, though
I know but he could but one of those too ;) thats what the companys want is it haha, for you to spend every dollar you've got on things... :| I cant remember what I was gonna say now :| haha I'll taLK TO YOU on aim :)

F4 said:
What you're looking for is called a print server.

There's probably others, but here's a link to one:

http://www.national-tech.com/popupspecs/70u1-0001.htm

I've never tried any of them, and some HP printer have their own printer servers, so you might want to look into that to.

This is excactly what I am looking for. I have yet to see a router with usb printer sharing, so this may be my only answer. But yikes! $80.00 for it. Thats as much as the routers Im looking at. Think I will shop around and try to find a lower priced one.

Thanks for the help.

Ive always wondered about print servers. Why not just connect one pc to it then share the printer on the network which would allow everyone on the network to print to it. What would the disadvantages of this be seeing as how everyone could use it and the only problem is that the computer hooked up to it would have to be on but saves from buying an 80.00 router if you already have a router. does anyone get what im talking about?

tom kruze said:
Ive always wondered about print servers. Why not just connect one pc to it then share the printer on the network which would allow everyone on the network to print to it. What would the disadvantages of this be seeing as how everyone could use it and the only problem is that the computer hooked up to it would have to be on but saves from buying an 80.00 router if you already have a router. does anyone get what im talking about?

It could work for some people "and it does", but for certian ppl they dont want to always have that computer on so they can print, so they just get a print server, it's good for home offices especialy if you've got 4 or more computers :)

Pyros said:

This is excactly what I am looking for. I have yet to see a router with usb printer sharing, so this may be my only answer. But yikes! $80.00 for it. Thats as much as the routers Im looking at. Think I will shop around and try to find a lower priced one.

Thanks for the help.

Cheaper than a dedicated computer....

DDR-PIII said:
I don't think you'll find one for much less.

Actually I found one for $62.00 shipped, but thats still more than its worth. The usb to parallel cable is a much cheaper alternative, but will that slow it down any going changing from usb ? anyways, If I cant find a router with built in usb print serving I will probably just share it through windows for the time being.

I find it curious that with most all external hardware going to usb and firewire (especially printers) that you cant easily find a router with the usb print sharing. Any opinions on why this is?

Back