• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

C3 error on Abit IT7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nerd4life

hey guys.

well built my brother a comp a few weeks ago now. Was gonna go with a EPOX board, but when i got there they were out of the one i wanted. So i wound up with the Abit IT7. It's a really nice board, except that it doesnt post when you cold boot it and shows error C3 on the LEDs.

Let's see. From what I've found so far this error has something to do with memory. I put two strips of 512 crucial PC3200, I think ECC but may have been non-parity, in there. Updated the BIOS to the latest one. They fixed some problem with memory and C3 error a few BIOS's ago but that didnt fix it. Not sure what else to do.

So right now, if it's cold booted, you have to turn it on and let it run with the C3 error code displayed for about 5 minutes or so, then reset it and it works fine. Weird.

Anyone got some ideas ?

I had some weird problems with my first IT7. Try just using one stick of ram in the middle slot. Also, this may seem strange, but plug the CPU fan into the other header next to it.

When my 1.6A died (SNDS), it would go to C3, then halt...
Wasn't it something like "Uncompressing data to PROM"
or something... ah, never mind, I'm sure you guys have looked it up...

hey Wam, I'll try that. He lives about 2 hours away so guess I'll have to step him through it.

and Crotale, what sux is there is no explanation of a C3 error in the manual that came with the board. only thing i could find on the web is from a BIOS update on abit site that vaguely said memory problems and C3 error.

and the ram may be ECC, I have no clue anymore what i bought him and the cracker cant find his receipt for everything. hehe.

Back