• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling House keeping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intrepid One

Registered
I have recently purchased a used water cooling kit off of a local newgroup and was wondering if there was a web site with some how to's on cleaning out a system .

The Block that came with the system (Koolance 200) has a lil bit of Agae in the block and was wondering how a person would go about getting it out since it is a sealed unit .

have heard to just run soap and water throu it but i am not sure of this , could see killing a pump of something .

Any of you have any experiences with this situation

To clean the waterblock, you need to take the water cooler apart...

Easy easiest thing to do is use vinegar to clean it. Just soak the block in vinegar and rinse it when you are done.

Another method (solid tops only) is to blow the junk out with butane… but the vinegar is a safer method so vinegar is preferred.

To clean your tubing the best think I have found that works is CLR. That stuff does wonders.

A drop of bleach may be added to stop algae from growing in the system, but its not the best thing for pumps and tubing as it will (very) slowly eat away at them. So you best idea would be to just add some water additive like purple ice or water wetter (or whatever the flavor of the month is) and that will also help keep the bad guys away

When I clean my system, I have a 4 litre(1 Gallon) jug of distilled water with about 5% CLR in it. I fill my system and run it like that for about an hour or two. Then I disassemble everything and use a couple rubber bands to strap a lint-free cloth to the end of a coat hanger and use it as a makeshift pipecleaner and run it through all my pipes. Then just rinse everything out with some warm clean distilled water.

Will have yur system sparkling in no time =)

Use Water Wetter as a good corrosion inhibitor and to improve your temps. No more than 5% of your coolant solution should be WW(according to what i've been told). Erythromycin from a petstore works great for keeping the population of your water system down .

Welcome to the darkside! :clap:

Back